Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I was just wondering as I would like to get ratties as everyone knows, are rats more detached from humans and prefer their own kind when kept in more than that of just 2 pairs?? Are they less affectionate toward their human companions??

I ask this question because I really would love to have 3-4 rats. But if this is the case I will stick to 1-2.

I apologize to those of you that may think that this is a bit of a selfish question. I just want the best out of my rat companions and also the best for them and due to this feeling had to ask this question. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think it depends on the time you spend with your ratties but they do need rattie company so getting 1 rat really isnt a good idea and although it will be very atttached to you if you let it its not fair for it to live alone as they are very sociable and they come out to play of a night and of course you will be sleeping so who will it have to play with? Most people get 3 rats to start with so that when thr first 1 goes to rainbow bridge the other 2 are still bonded and have eachother aswell as their human friend. I personally only have 2 girls and both of them are very attached to me but they also LOVE eachother!

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I have had singles (in the past when I didn't know any better, and an aggressive old girl right now). I have had pairs and triplets. but groups of 4 or more seem to work the best. They are happier, their personality really blossoms, etc. And they loooove their human. My largest group is 13 and they are wonderful and happy. I would say a nice little colony of 4 is good if you can handle all the vet bills, extra expense. :D

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Rat love does not take the place of human love for them! You could have as many as you wanted, and as long as you still played and socialized them, they'd love you just as much as any single rat. Probably more, because they'd be able to live their rattie personalities to the fullest, and be most comfortable with interacting with humans.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I currently have thirteen rats (plus a litter of babies), all of which are kept in single sex community cages. I can attest that rats are JUST as affection when in groups as they are in pairs. In some respects I actually think they are MORE affectionate in groups. Having a group you get several different personality types, and these personality types do feed off each other. If one rat is a little more introverted and shy, a more out going companion can help it overcome this shyness. If you only have two rats, you might have one that's extroverted and one that's introverted, or you might get two introverted rats (or two extroverted rats). But with a larger group, you have a better chance of having a good balance. Between my girls, only one is particularly introverted (though still very affectionate), while the others are varying degrees of outgoing and extroverted, or somewhere in between.

Be warned, groups will also learn from each other! ;) My girls teach all the newbies how to "escape" the cage as soon as the door is open. They also teach all the new rats how to clean ears, teeth, and noses.

Here are a couple pictures of some of my rats. Even though they live in small communities, you can see they are still very friendly, affectionate, and outgoing when it comes to people.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah, be prepared for the other two to teach the new one all the "tricks of the trade" on how to misbehave... hehe. Otherwise, they seem to be fine and just as loving in groups of over 2, sometimes they begin to show their individuality more. Rats are a lot like people in many respects.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I never have less than three rats at a time, because they seem so much happier when they have others to play with. Because you can't be with them 24/7, they'll still have lots of company when you're away. 8)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I find no matter how many rats I have, they are always more interested in their human companions than they are in each other. I have four ladies (three together one by herself because she's too violent to be kept with other girls) and the three ladies are always excited to see me.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Berks said:
I loved having 3 because I never felt bad taking one out for individual time and leaving the other 2.
That's what I like too, nobody is ever alone.

I absolutely love my four girls. Whenever I walk past their cage they all run to the front and beg for attention. And of course watching them chase and wrestle with each other is endlessly entertaining!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts