Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking my rats could really do with some more fun hammocks, ropes etc, so on Friday I'm going to pop into town and get some cheap fabric to make some with.
My question is simple really, considering how chewed up it's going to get, are there any fabrics which could actually be harmful to the rats?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Any fabric that they could get their legs/toenails caught in are no-nos. That's why people advise against towels (though people use them without problem, better safe than sorry). Avoid fabrics that fray, unless you're sewing them, in which case, just check them often enough for wear and tear and remove it or cut the frays once you notice it starts fraying. Fleece is probably the most popular choice on this forum. I use fleece reinforced with old jeans, which I have to watch for fraying, but has worked well for me so far.

·
Registered
238 Posts
HEY, FelineWolf! I reconize your from Tribe, I'm fancyfied, so hi.

Did you post pics of your ratties in the photo section yet?

·
Registered
730 Posts
the best fabrics are fleece, flannels and cottons ;). Anything else just isn't thick enough or is too stretchy.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Flannels in my experience aren't a favorite. It frays, it's not very thick so it makes less than ideal wire floor covers, and it's just not as soft. My girls much prefer fleece over flannel.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Star said:
HEY, FelineWolf! I reconize your from Tribe, I'm fancyfied, so hi.

Did you post pics of your ratties in the photo section yet?
Hello!!! :D
I forgot you had rats!
I haven't posted pics in the photo section, I have done everywhere else though! lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
I hope you don't mind me helping myself to your thread, but... here I go...

This thread convinced me to go to the fabric store today and buy some fleece to use as bedding, instead of the Carefresh that I have been using. I think our girls are going to love the change. I've heard a few of you mention that Carefresh causes sniffles and sneezing and both girls have episodes of that (not regularly, so I'm not worried about illness). Hopefully switching to fleece will help.

Oh... I have not even had them for two weeks yet, though, and I know sneezing is common in the first few weeks, but the fleece just seems like the best way to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts