Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom got Loki some baby formula stuff to hopefully get him drinking. She got Gerber Good Start Say for Sensitive Tummy for babies 0-12 months, and food lion brand Pediatric Electrolyte oral electrolyte concentrate solution with zinc and vitamin blend strawberry flavor and fruit flavor ( they are supposed to restore fluid and electrolytes lost during diarrhea and vomiting to help prevent dehydration. We thought since Loki wasn't eating or drinking much this might keep him hydrated a bit better but I still thought I'd consult you guys before I gave it to him just in case.)

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Those are fine to give him and should keep him hydrated pretty well. The formula will benefit him greatly too

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
If he's dehydrated he needs the Pedialyte every half hour till he's no longer dehydrated. If he can't or won't drink then you're going to have to syringe it in him. First see if he'll drink on his own from the syringe. If not then you'll have to force it. When mine get sick they get 10 ml of it every 30. Once hydrated give it every hour then gradually offer it or water to him. Usually once hydrated they drink themselves.

The formula can be given liberally. If he refuses and won't eat anything then again syring it. You could mix it and lab blocks and see if he'll eat the mush

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Wedge the syringe in the side of his mouth, DO NOT angle it directly at the back of his throat as that's a good way to flood his lungs. Point it slightly towards his molars and syringe a little into his mouth. If he swallows without a fuss keep doing it till he has drank the whole dose. If he fights you wrap him in a towel, hold him with one arm and give quick, short bursts of the liquid, still not pointing at his throat. Here's a video showing how to do it, i made it just for you guys!

http://youtu.be/a0R-l8fosEE

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aww! Thank you so much! That was really kind and very much appreciated! He's not doing so well this morning:( His gasping is worse

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Does he have a vet appointment? I haven't read your other thread, assuming you made one that is. Have you tried steam? Do you have a rescue inhaler? If yes to the second then I suggest you give him two puffs. You can do this by either putting an empty toilet paper roll over his muzzle and the inhaler in the other end, give one puff then wait a few seconds and give another. The other way is to place him in a large Tupperware container, give two puffs then close the lid for about ten seconds. Both methods work, the container would probably be best because the albuterol has a chance to expand.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks Hey-Fey! It's a similar way you would do it with a new born human baby. Short bursts against the cheek so they don't choke.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
You're welcome! And yes, very much like human babies!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes Loki has already been to the vet and he has a follow up trip next saturday. He is on baytril to try and figure out what's causing what. If the meds work it's probably pneumonia if they don't (and he lives til next saturday) it's probably lung tumors.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes Loki has already been to the vet and he has a follow up trip next saturday. He is on baytril to try and figure out what's causing what. If the meds work it's probably pneumonia if they don't (and he lives til next saturday) it's probably lung tumors.
Awh :( keeping my fingers crossed for Loki! We're keeping him in our thoughts. Let us know how he does with eating/ drinking and staying hydrated!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awh :( keeping my fingers crossed for Loki! We're keeping him in our thoughts. Let us know how he does with eating/ drinking and staying hydrated!
Thanks I appreciate that! And I know he does too! I will definitely keep you guys updated! He had 5 ml of formula about half an hour ago and he pooped again this morning but it's like every time I think he's getting better the next day he's worse so :/ Your thoughts and good wishes are very much appreciated! <3

1 - 14 of 14 Posts