Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was going through my "pet supplies" box, and I found a pack of "PetSafe Flavored Cornstarch Rings" in bacon flavour.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61uZBULE2oL._SL1000_.jpg Here's a link to them. The consistency of the treat looks a lot like a brown Greenie, although I don't have a pack with me to check.

These are the ingredients: Cornstarch, rice starch, sorbitol, maltose, non-animal based bacon flavor (starch, hawthorn seedoil, triethyl citrate, vanillin, methyl cyclopentenolone).

The guaranteed analysis is: Crude protein: 0.5%(min), Crude fat: 0.2%(min), Crude fiber: 2.0% (max), Moisture: 13% (max).

Are these any good for rats, just as a small treat every now and again? Has anyone else tried these with their rats?

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm not really 100% sure on this but I did some research on a certain ingrediant because it sounded familiar. (I'm taking organic chemistry right now lol) Triethyl Citrate is a product of citric acid which is found in citrus fruits. I'm not sure if it has any connection with the ingrediant in citrus fruits that causes cancer in males, but honestly I'd try to stay away from anything remotely similar to citrus just in case.

Everything else sounds decent but really starch turns to sugar in the body so if you did plan on giving this to them do it in moderation. In my opinion I think there are a lot of better choices out there. Hope this helped some Cirice!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That did help ;D If my memory serves me correctly then I think citrus is only really bad for male rats. Hmmm. :confused:

·
Registered
680 Posts
The study I read said that it was something in the rind that caused kindeny cancer in males. They recommended not giving males citrus because it's basically impossible to remove the rind completely. Even juices have some of the substance found in the rind, which is why they are not recommended either. Not sure if that applies to citric acid or not. If it's natural and extracted from juice then it's probably best to avoid it. If it's synthetic then it wouldn't though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts