Rat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't resist some little rat pups yesterday and they had several away from mom and I just wanted to make sure I don't need to supplement them or not? They were eating blocks and they drink from the water bottle bit they are just sooooo tiny.
Rodent Finger Whiskers Rat Fawn

Finger Thumb Nail Snout Whiskers

Hand Finger Whiskers Rodent Nail

Hand Bird Finger Rodent Felidae

·
Registered
Oliver Bean, Phyllis, Waffle, Taco, Atlas, Cirrus, Orion
2,652 Posts
Hi and welcome. So adorable!!! Beautiful babies. They are little fluff nuggets, still have their baby fur. They are very young, probably too young to be taken from mom, but even at 4-5 weeks they can eat and thrive with proper food. Make sure they get baby food, soft cereal, something they can lick up but not dip their face in it as you don't want them to get any in the airways. I use runny cream of wheat with butter and brown sugar. Keeps them hydrated and gives them energy. They learn to lick it from your fingers which helps bonding. Frozen peas that are thawed make a great treat for little paws to hold. Make sure they are drinking from their bottle and staying warm.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They have been eating the blocks. I gave them a handful and they ate it down to nubs. I also gave them some baby cereal with berries. They are in their own cage away from the big girls in a separate room. I take them out and let them snuggle in my hood if the sweatshirt a couple times a day. They are superbly friendly and I hope they are both girls! I tried my best to make sure. They crawl up into my hand when I put it in the cage so no worries on taming/bonding. Definitely sweet rats for sure. I'll wait 1 month before intros and se how the colony accepts them also to make sure they are girls....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok! They are doing well. Super sweet babies! They do have pee all over their belly....is that normal? I'm assuming they just haven't figured out how to clean it all down there yet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ok! They are doing well. Super sweet babies! They do have pee all over their belly....is that normal? I'm assuming they just haven't figured out how to clean it all down there yet.
You may need to step in as a momma for them, as usually their mum would clean them up. Using a cotton ball and water should be enough!

Honestly they look younger than 5 weeks to me but maybe I'm being dumb haha

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You may need to step in as a momma for them, as usually their mum would clean them up. Using a cotton ball and water should be enough!

Honestly they look younger than 5 weeks to me but maybe I'm being dumb haha
They might be 4 weeks. Eyes were open and running around ears up. I think they just got pulled from mom a few days before I got them. I thought about putting my mother hen rat in there tiny cage monitored to see if she would clean them. I can try the cotton ball tomorrow!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
They can survive at 4 weeks away from the mother, they actually start eating solid food at 3 weeks but need momma's milk up to 6 weeks of age. They also need mom for comfort, reassurance, feeling safe and socializing. You can feed soy based human infant formula, that will help with nutrition that they won't get from lab block or other adult foods. Mix it with baby oatmeal and make it into a wet cereal. They will love it! Good luck with your babes 💞

·
Registered
63 Posts
They might be 4 weeks. Eyes were open and running around ears up. I think they just got pulled from mom a few days before I got them. I thought about putting my mother hen rat in there tiny cage monitored to see if she would clean them. I can try the cotton ball tomorrow!
She might not necessarily clean them but I had a mother hen rat who I put with an 8 week old rat and she seemed to provide a lot of comfort to her, so even just her being with them may help them a bit :)

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
She might not necessarily clean them but I had a mother hen rat who I put with an 8 week old rat and she seemed to provide a lot of comfort to her, so even just her being with them may help them a bit :)
Yes, the attention and 'parenting' that a momma rat can give to a young baby is very valuable! I put my wild baby rat Oliver Bean with Fawn and her litter, and even though at 3 1/2 weeks he was not nursing, he joined in with the babies and got cleaned and dragged around like he was one of hers. Helped with his social skills too

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very helpful! They are doing really well with the lab blocks. Getting these big round tummies. They love when we open the cage and put our hands in or even talk to them. In another week I might do intros since all of my rats are very sweet. I cannot tell if the gray and white one is a girl...the parts are close but I'm not seeing an opening above the ureter? If that's the right term? I'm hoping it's a girl if not we can find a place to fix him. The kids are already so attached and he's so sweet. I'm just crossing my fingers hoping I made the right choice....if not it will be an expensive fix 🙃 I've gotten all my rats from feeder bins....I know that's not ideal but I feel better about saving that one little life....x8 they really are all sweet and unique and the pet store that I get them from has generally very healthy feeders.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Very helpful! They are doing really well with the lab blocks. Getting these big round tummies. They love when we open the cage and put our hands in or even talk to them. In another week I might do intros since all of my rats are very sweet. I cannot tell if the gray and white one is a girl...the parts are close but I'm not seeing an opening above the ureter? If that's the right term? I'm hoping it's a girl if not we can find a place to fix him. The kids are already so attached and he's so sweet. I'm just crossing my fingers hoping I made the right choice....if not it will be an expensive fix 🙃 I've gotten all my rats from feeder bins....I know that's not ideal but I feel better about saving that one little life....x8 they really are all sweet and unique and the pet store that I get them from has generally very healthy feeders.
You could always post a photo of them and see if anyone on here can tell what they are?

I don't blame you from getting from feeder bins, sometimes it's hard to resist when you know what kind of fate they have :(

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:oops: Mugsy is got 6 very prominent nips showing on her round tummy and I for sure know when a girl. Powder....well powder always has a yellow peed area because it's belly is too round and ive watched the baby groom itself and it's comical because when it reaches down there it falls over. They are so round haha nice chubby baby. Anyway....it looks more and more like powder is a male....ugh!!!!!!!! My husband is going to be so upset. If powder is a boy....will I need to separate him from mugsy before too long? I'd say they are around 5 weeks old. I'll contact my vet to see if they neuter male rats but if not I'm not sure who would that's around here in the Chicagoland area. I'm about an hour outside Chicago. My other option is to just get another male and let them be my son's pets. He has an older hamsterand he's mentioned wanting rats next time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
:oops: Mugsy is got 6 very prominent nips showing on her round tummy and I for sure know when a girl. Powder....well powder always has a yellow peed area because it's belly is too round and ive watched the baby groom itself and it's comical because when it reaches down there it falls over. They are so round haha nice chubby baby. Anyway....it looks more and more like powder is a male....ugh!!!!!!!! My husband is going to be so upset. If powder is a boy....will I need to separate him from mugsy before too long? I'd say they are around 5 weeks old. I'll contact my vet to see if they neuter male rats but if not I'm not sure who would that's around here in the Chicagoland area. I'm about an hour outside Chicago. My other option is to just get another male and let them be my son's pets. He has an older hamsterand he's mentioned wanting rats next time.
If they're a boy, when they get around 5 weeks old you'll KNOW hahaha. 5 weeks is the normal age for their testicles to drop but from around 10 days old you can normally see a faint outline of their testes before they've dropped.

Hopefully if they are a boy you can find a vet who would neuter!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If they're a boy, when they get around 5 weeks old you'll KNOW hahaha. 5 weeks is the normal age for their testicles to drop but from around 10 days old you can normally see a faint outline of their testes before they've dropped.

Hopefully if they are a boy you can find a vet who would neuter!
She finally cleaned herself, or muggy did....I was able to see a line above her ureter! For now we are going with girl!!! She was just so cuddly and falls asleep on me I was afraid we had a boy.....my does are all too busy for that life haha. They'd rather forage and play during free roam.

·
Registered
63 Posts
She finally cleaned herself, or muggy did....I was able to see a line above her ureter! For now we are going with girl!!! She was just so cuddly and falls asleep on me I was afraid we had a boy.....my does are all too busy for that life haha. They'd rather forage and play during free roam.
Woo! Super happy for you, keeping the gang all together! :D I have one girl who is so lazy and sleepy, and none of my others are haha I think it can happen just normally they're too busy exploring !

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Woo! Super happy for you, keeping the gang all together! :D I have one girl who is so lazy and sleepy, and none of my others are haha I think it can happen just normally they're too busy exploring !
Yes I was so worried but I mean I would have made it work and eventually fixed him to bring them all together. Currently at around 1am I have two that are just fighting for about 20 minutes and i get up to Check and it's the same two. Its so bad it wakes me up. I'm getting close to splitting them because of it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update: both are 8n the big cage now and powder has a small scrape and looks like she's been over groomed. I'm keeping an eye on them but older ladies have been squabbling themselves. Star has cataracts and poor vision I think and it's making her less confident and fights with others. So I've seen her picking several fights with all the cage mates. I've also seen moe go after them. I'm considering separating the meanies from the crowd if it keeps up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts