Rat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got our new ratties!! Yah!! :lol: I have been thinking that they are dumbo eared but I am not sure. Are they?

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Definitely dumbo. :)

See the difference?

My rescue dumbo (only one ever) Tosca surrounded by standard or top eared girls. Her sister is on the left of her.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought so. I had a fleeting thought that maybe all babies look that way since dumbo adults seem so ritten-ish to me. Thanks for the confirmation.
lisspaz, you have a cute brood. I love the sable on the right. Beautiful color!

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
magickat said:
I thought so. I had a fleeting thought that maybe all babies look that way since dumbo adults seem so ritten-ish to me. Thanks for the confirmation.
lisspaz, you have a cute brood. I love the sable on the right. Beautiful color!
That is Faline a fawn mismarked hooded rescue. :)

Thats only one cage of my broods. :)

I think your babies are adorable, they are about 4-5 weeks old? You might want to supplement their diet for a bit since they are very young. You could use baby cereal, baby food, etc, soft veggies as well as their regular adult diet.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, they are about 5 weeks. I have given them baby food carrots, muesli w/ peaches, veggi medely and a spagetti dinner (it has meat in it,) as well as smoked turkey (since they are not touching the dog food I added to the Suebees.) I thought I might try soaking the dog food to soften it. They also love the soft, cooked squash I gave them. Thanks for thinking of it. :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Dumbos always make me go 'awwwwwwww' and smile, occasionally giggle, yours make me giggle :)

as far as being dumbos, along with the ear shape they have a slightly different head shape.

·
Registered
78 Posts
So cute! One in Ralph and Moos litter was a dumbo....unfortunately she was a she so I couldnt keep her....very very cute lil babies.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update:
I tried soaking the dog food in water and they love it!! So far their favorite baby food is the organic chicken tomato pasta. But they will eat any baby food I give them if I add a little cod liver oil to it.
Thanks all for the praise. We are enjoying them so much.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I LOVE dumbos! All rats are cute to me, but Dumbos are just overkill! They look so serene and carefree in every pic I have ever seen of them, I guess it's because their ears pull their faces down a bit and make them look rounder or something, but I have always wanted a dumbo (or 6, lol) but I have never ever found anyone in my area who even breeds rats except for feeders, which is what my rat is, let alone trying to specialize in dumbos... I can never ever find one....

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Dumbos actually do have a different face shape... they're missing a bone in their face, I think, so their ears sit lower, or somesuch. :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts