Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got three female rats from Petsmart about a week ago. They Were kept together in the back for about 2 months. Petsmart said they are all about 3-4 months old.

I have a cage large enough for all 3. I had 2 houses, a wooden one and a plastic one. When they're all in the plastic one, it lifts up and their tails stick out. So i took it out and put in an empty kleenex box on its side and they love it and have stopped using their wooden one so much.

The problem is that 2 of them keep going in at night once ive turned the lights off and they start squealing and making a lot of noise. I check on them when it happens and one of those times it looked like one was biting the other. Usually one is on their back while the other is laying on top and their moving around a lot. I found them doing this maybe 2 or 3 times outside of the box. When i turn the lights on they usually stop

·
Registered
555 Posts
It sounds like they're playing or force grooming, which is basically when one rat is pinned on their back and the other cleans them (it does look like biting if you're not used to seeing it). As long as they're not drawing blood, it's okay. They're most likely just playing rough.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I havent seen any blood. I took the kleenex box out last night before i went to bed to see what would happen and they were a lot quieter but i did put it back in this morning

1 - 4 of 4 Posts