Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't get me wrong, I love my girls, but I'm starting to wonder if rats are the animal for me...

I'm so busy with school and work, that I don't seem to have time to give them the attention they deserve. They're not getting used to being handled because I hardly have time to handle them. Plus, I got them in hopes that they'd be willing to sit there and cuddle, only to find out later that female rats are far from the cuddley type.

What should I do? Should I give them to the pet store, sell them to someone, what? I'm just concerned that I'm unable to provide them with the love they need and deserve, not while being a full time student and holding two jobs.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
if you really feel that you are not able to provide for their needs (emotional included) then it would be best to find ahome that can do that. taking them back to pet store is not a good idea though. they will more then likely end up as snake food and have even less care then you are currently able to provide. find them a home that will give them the care that you can't by advertising and screening all applicants. even make up a contract saying that they are going as pets only, and are not to be used as feed for another animal or bred or any reason. it can take time but its better they be with you and get the occasional loving and proper food and bedding then a pet store or overwhelmed animal shelter that is not equiped or knowledgeable enough to care for rats. if you're really stuck look for a rodent/rat rescue in your area, that can take some searching but there's likely to be at least one.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I know how you feel. I am also a full time college student. I take day and night classes and I also have other responsibilities I have to deal with. Having rats (especially if you have never had rats before) can be overwhelming. This is another reason why many people say it’s a good idea to get two rats…so when your not there, at least they are not alone. They have someone to play and cuddle with. It is important that they have some playtime outside of there cage and time to bond with you. Although I do have a busy schedule I work my rats into it. When you’re at home doing homework, let them out of their cage; give them some toys to play with! When you’re getting ready for bed or getting up for school or work, it can’t hurt to pay some attention to them, let them out of their cage to stretch. It only takes a moment to put them back in there cage. When you’re on the computer you can put them on your shoulder or on your lap. You don’t have to put of hours and hours of time out of your day to pay attention to them. Females do tend to be more active, however not all males will just sit on your lap. My boys rarely stay still, they always want to play. If you feel there is no possible way you can pay any attention to them then I would go with some of the options twitch mentioned.

·
Registered
928 Posts
about female rats not being cuddly my female daisy was more affection than all 3 of my males put together lol mayb it was coz she was a lone rat and was never in her cage i dunno! plz let us no ur disision

1 - 5 of 5 Posts