Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The boys, in their free range time, have developed the habit of pottying not-on-me (which I am pretty thrilled about, trust me) and on a blanket I've draped on the couch for their runabouts. now, in the cage this doesn't seem to be the case, which I'm going to try to start working on, but is it possible for them to make the decision not to poop on the human?

·
Registered
555 Posts
If your rats are fairly new to you, they normally poop out of nervousness and because they're not used to you. Perhaps they've stopped because they're more comfy around you. That's a great thing :).

As far as the training themselves bit I'm not too sure. Perhaps!

·
Registered
863 Posts
My first rat litter trained herself. I didn't even know rats could be litter trained, but I noticed that when she was free-ranging, she'd go back into her cage to do her business.

Now I'm training a shoulder rat who, thankfully, has decided she can hold it while we're out and about. It seems to me that most rats prefer to go in a designated area.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Mocha is our shoulder rat. She will NOT poop or even pee on us. If she needs to do her business, she has a unique way of letting us know. We didn't train her to do that, SHE trained US.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts