Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 8 week old rats right now that i brought home yesterday but I have a huge double critter nation and was wanting to get two more (especially since my old mischief consisted of 4 boys) These two are from a different breeder they opened their eyes a few days ago the breeder says they are about 3 weeks and they that should be ready a week from today to come to their new home. I feel like they should at least by 6 weeks but if he is separating them from mom at that point anyway. Do you guys think they will be okay? Any tips????

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
They really should be 6 weeks but some get theirs earlier like 4 weeks and everything is ok. Id rather get them at 6 weeks though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i got both of my current rats at 3 weeks, they were both the size of mice when i brought them home (the person i'd got them from had been nursing them since they were born). six weeks is preferable of course, but in my experience even if they're younger than that they should be fine!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ratties can wean themselves off of their mother at as early as 2-3 weeks. Depending on the breeder the rats may be held until 4 weeks or even 8 weeks, it depends on what the breeder and adopter are comfortable with!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've got all five of my girls from the same breeder and I think the first time was around 4 or 5 weeks, and the second time, since she was more comfortable with me etc, she gave them to me at about 3 weeks. Some side against it, but I definitely loved getting them at that age, I think it made introductions a lot easier getting them so young, but that might just have been my experience.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
It is a pretty crappy breeder that would let their babies go that early :( And if they opened their eyes a few days ago, then they are closer to 2 weeks old.

Babies should really stay with mom as long as possible. The very earliest they should go is 5 weeks, but 6-8 weeks is ideal IMO. I don't know any reputable breeder that would let their babies go earlier than that. IMO it is very irresponsible :(

Babies are usually weaned from their mom between 3-4 weeks. Most babies still nurse some up to 4 weeks. So they will likely be missing out on that and they also learn a ton of how to be a rat at that age.

Ugh it makes me angry bleh. Usually when a breeder gets rid of their babies so early they also sell eh not as pets and care more about profit then the health and wellbeing of their babies. IMO the longer they stay with their mom the stronger, healthier and far better social skills they learn for the future.

But if you are set about getting them from that breeder then there is not much you can do, besides maybe discussing with the breeder about them keeping them longer. They will be able to eat food on their own at that age most likely.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It is a pretty crappy breeder that would let their babies go that early :( And if they opened their eyes a few days ago, then they are closer to 2 weeks old.

Babies should really stay with mom as long as possible. The very earliest they should go is 5 weeks, but 6-8 weeks is ideal IMO. I don't know any reputable breeder that would let their babies go earlier than that. IMO it is very irresponsible :(

Babies are usually weaned from their mom between 3-4 weeks. Most babies still nurse some up to 4 weeks. So they will likely be missing out on that and they also learn a ton of how to be a rat at that age.

Ugh it makes me angry bleh. Usually when a breeder gets rid of their babies so early they also sell eh not as pets and care more about profit then the health and wellbeing of their babies. IMO the longer they stay with their mom the stronger, healthier and far better social skills they learn for the future.

But if you are set about getting them from that breeder then there is not much you can do, besides maybe discussing with the breeder about them keeping them longer. They will be able to eat food on their own at that age most likely.
Babies open their eyes between 12-16 days so it is true that they are less than three weeks if they have only just opened their eyes.
Babies generally have to leave their mothers by 4 weeks regardless as after 4 weeks they have a chance of getting mama or other ratties in the litter pregnant. This is a small chance but is very possible and this could put the health and safety of other babies in danger. Ratties generally start eating solid food in addition to nursing at the time that they open their eyes and will start drinking water by 3 weeks! At this time they can be fully independent but should probably be with their mother for another week (until the four week mark) to be sure that none of the babies are "late bloomers" so to speak.
Social skills will depend not on how much they stay with their mother but on how much they are held and socialized by the breeder they are living with before they leave and on their lineage. A socialized rat will be a happy rat!
Of course if you are uncomfortable most breeders will hold babies for you until you are ready, occasionally with a holding fee or a deposit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts