Rat Forum banner

Are tricks a necessity for a happy rat?

597 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Mattd66 
#1 ·
Hi,
I’ve posted something similar in the past but just wanted everyone’s thoughts and personal experience really.
We bought our first 2 rats just after Xmas last year (female, now 8 months old).
I’ve been trying to get them to learn simple tricks as I read it’s stimulating for them, and also good fun for me.
I don’t know if I have the dumbest rats ever, or if I’m not a very good teacher but they don’t seem to a) be that interested in learning, or b) be very good.
I don’t wanna give up on them as everything I’ve read says that they love to learn new tricks, and I want to give them the most stimulating life possible, but Maybe I’ve set my sights too high by looking on YouTube, at some abnormally smart rats.
Is it fairly easy to train rats and I just need to keep at it? Or should I just leave them be and let them free roam to keep them happy and entertained?
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Some of my rats were the same, rats are all individuals and some rats either don't like, or are not interested in tricks. My rats were very happy to come on walks with me, free roam, and play amongst themselves. They were just as happy as the rats that have enjoyed learning tricks. If you believe that your rats enjoy learning tricks, keep at it, but if they don't, i'm sure they'll be fine :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.