Rat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my girls are chewers, they weren't at first, but every time i make them a tube hammock this is what happens

at first

then this

and this

and another one

·
Registered
722 Posts
Mine had a tube hammock before, and they chewed it up too. So basically, I stick to regular hammocks that I don't put a whole lot of effort into... that way, if it does get chewed, I'm not disappointed.

·
Registered
120 Posts
They aren't big chewers, but they will gnaw if they are completely bored. But that shouldn't happen; they have *way* to many toys to be bored.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Tube hammocks seem to the worst. I had one, bought it, it was really nice. And then I went on vacation, and left them with a friend... I dunno if she didn't give them enough to do, or what, but the thing is totally shredded now!

·
Registered
527 Posts
my girls hardly chew at all in the cage, but out of they cage they can gnaw and gnaw and gnaw! and also shred. xD
they especially like biting at the blankets covering "their" couch and at the wooden windowsill.
mm, tasty wood! ;]

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
My girls are ridiculous for chewing ANYTHING fabric - hammocks, bedding (i use towels) their teddy bears. Lily is the only odd one - who refuses to be litter trained and sabotages my efforts by tipping the tray upside down and chewing holes in the bottom.

My boys though - are perfect gents. Other than Ritchie - most toys remain intact.

It must be a girl thing lol

·
Registered
445 Posts
My girls, and boys ALL chew anything else but not the Tube hammocks ive made, or the normal ones, they just pee on them, and cut the strings that hold them in the place :D. So i can just easily put new strings after wash and hang them again

·
Registered
221 Posts
My boys don't chew on anything but there chew blocks occasionally. My girls on the other hand think you must chew everything ! (Bug makes an acception for her soft bed though) Nani can't stand to see fabric in one piece and unshredded.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
my girls will chew on anything. they have almost destroyed a hammock i was given, and they will chew through their blankies...

once the blankies get to the point where there's more air than blankie, then they get cut down to squares and the remnants thrown out. the girls like the holes though, as they enjoy poking their heads through and startling anyone who comes near, haha!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have lost many MANY expensive dresses and strappy shoes to my rats...But we manage to only go through a tube hammock or corner hammock every 3 months - I have bulk sewing materials for them and I make them myself. I used to make them rice bean bags to, for winter and they didnt chew them. They only chewed my things lol.

·
Registered
261 Posts
rats are famous for chewing you know, all rats chew unless they don't have teeth, which is rare.

my mom is still mad at me from four years ago when we had boogie. i took her out to the couch and slept on my lap. i was watching a movie on tv and went into the kitchen to get some popcorn that was freshly made on the table. i was thinking i could leave booogie alone for thirty seconds, but hen i came back to the living room and back to th couch with some popcorn, i couldn't find boogie. the couch was a rocking chair and so i was afraid to rock in it like i usually do so if she was in the metal, i wouln't kill her delicate little body. the couch was from thai land and was expensive and costed our family a fourtune to buy it before i was born. it was a beautiful chair, leatch at most and my happiest hours took place there. sooner or later, i had found boogie chewing the couch at an open spot where my mom would find out in a short while. id dare not tell her, for as many of you know, my mom is a very strict woman who loves ratties sometimes, she used to have fourty two when she was twelve, but what ever happened to her love for those little critters now -a- days. she still has some love for thm in the bottom of her heart somewhere, but the part she hates about is their...their... chewing. i dont mind it but my mom surley does. sadly, i missed my show, i ate the popcorn though, but whatever. two days later, my mom found out and grounded me, i am still grounded at the moment and i bet i always will be. i didn't know that though, i was only seven at the time and boogie was my first rattie i had ever had. i have had alot of rats and boogie, the cream hooded dumbo, born on christmas 2005, died august 23, 2006 was my favorite. well my mom hates me for letting her chew and t this dy, sje is still yelling and me and beleive it or not, i am still grounded.

caesti does the same kind of chewing like all rats as boogie, but not as much as her, that is partly why my mom like caelsti because of her personality. anyhow, rattie love to chew, there is the answer to to your question.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My girls will chew everything. I am learning to make hammocks so I can stop buying them from other people. They also love to lick. Any correlation do you think?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts