Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first 3 rats were very shy. They wouldn't play outside of their cage they'd just hide. Pepper is the opposite. She's very curious and loves to explore. She gets excited being out of her cage either playing on the couch, in bed or on the floor. Chilli is nervous too. She usually just hangs out in my sweater while Pepper roams around.

Just curious what your rats personalities are like?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Neera is still incredibly hand-shy after having her for over five months. That's just how she is. She's also my curious and bold girl, and my licker. Conflicting personality traits, but that's who she is. XD Dela is my "general female" personality. She bruxes but doesn't really lick and she loves to run and play. She's curious and usually gets confident after a while, but she's also pretty skittish when faced with new things or sudden sounds/movements. She tends to freeze a lot when she's unsure.

·
Registered
994 Posts
My Pippin is shy, especially around other people. but she is really sweet, playful and obedient. she rarely chews and i can trust her enough to leave her out of the cage all night. And then there is Merry. Oh god. Don't get me wrong I love her but she can be a handful. She is the definition of stubbon. And shes always getting into stuff she shouldn't be. She can be quite grumpy too. However sometimes she'll just sit on my lap and let me massage her till she falls asleep witch is something not even Pippin does.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Remy is very shy, but it kind of conflicts with his "king-of-the-world" attitude. When we first go him it was hard to get him out of the cage (and it still is) and sometimes he would be excited and bouncy but at other times he would simply hide under the furniture. he's in a more outgoing mood then he will be like "hey, pet me... give me food... obey me..." Its so funny when Remy obviously wants something, like a visit to my desk, because he will go to ANY lengths to reach it, even if it ends him up tight roping wires... Remy is always full of energy and very smart, but tends to be nervous too.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My albino Pearl is very shy, she tends to hide under the covers and just lays down, and when I go to give her loves she'll usually just lick my finger to no end. My other 3 girls love running around on my bed though and exploring. I've had Pearl and Daisy for a year now, my other two i've had over 32 weeks

·
Registered
272 Posts
Oliver is quite the bold guy. He wants to explore and is pretty protective of his smaller roommate Barry. Either that, or he's jealous for my attention and doesn't want me to lavish any onto Barry.

Barry is the smaller of the two. He is content coming up and grooming my fingernails, but doesn't want the petting and shies away, whereas Oliver is quite content to let me give him love.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I feel as if Spaghetti is the shyest out of the group. (I have 8 right now.)
(He was the first one I got, along with Cornelius.) Corneilus - Being the Mr.Outgoing, adventurous one.. *Who's actually my heart rat*

Spaghetti has always been shy, always wary of hands and loud noises. xD He doesn't like my sister. Whenever she enters the room, he'll hide under the covers or in my shirt. Probably because she went "SPPPT!" at him one time, thinking she could play with him, but inevitably freaked him out. >_> Haha.

However, as I have added to the group (getting younger rats) Spaghetti honestly has come out of his shell. He's more adventurous and loves food. He also will let me hold him *briefly* so it's a definite improvement! I feel like he thought he was the last in command out of the big boys and now he has kind of taken like a babysitter role in the rat pack (If that's a thing, it seems like that to me, anyway), so he feels useful.

Roger is also kind of shy. Same thing, he's a squiggle monster, kind of wary of noises.. However, what I did yesterday.. I got the 4 younger rat children out and had a 3-4 hour cuddle session with them because I feel like they get lost in the chaos with the big boys a lot, when I let them out all at once. He seems a lot more outgoing just after that.

^_^ I'm still interacting with Moo and Winston as I just adopted them this past Friday.
Winston is a charmer, Moo is kind of a squiggler but he loves to adventure/climb!

They all take food from my hands though! Really happy about that. x)

·
Registered
195 Posts
My Alfie is pretty shy... He doesn't like coming out of the cage at all, and takes a while to warm up to me every day. He wants attention, but on HIS terms. He makes a fuss when I pull him out of his cage, he'd much rather stay in. He's a bit of a licker if I have something on my fingers, even if it's just water.

My two new boys seem to be the exact opposite... Houdini is out the cage door as soon as it's open. He's still learning it's okay to come out onto my hand, but he doesn't fuss too much if I pick him up. My little blue boy (no name yet) is a bit more timid, but he'll also venture outside of the cage if the door's open. He's also a bit more cuddle oriented. If he's on me, he's usually up on my shoulder cuddling my neck and nibbling me. I've also only had these two since yesterday, so we're still learning each other's personalities.

·
Registered
680 Posts
We have two kinds of shy in our pack.

Tempy is skittish. The type where if you even motion in his direction he darts off.
Nibbler is timid. He's the type that stays in the cage when strangers are around and makes sure to sniff around a bit before coming out even when it's just me.
Zeeky is probably the most active of the pack. He alters between running around chasing the others and sleeping.
Buddy is just happy go lucky. He's the one who will sit in my lap for hours, follow me to the gate when I leave the room, and is not afraid of anyone even strangers. He's like the golden retriever of rats. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts