Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking all over the web for weeks, trying to find a breeder in Indiana. Main reason: I want to finally find a Siamese! The lady I got Scout/Panda/Napoleon from doesn't breed Siamese, and I can't get a hold of the rattery she referred me to (Bella Karm.) I can't find any breeders in Indiana that actually sell rats. They're all either shut down or feeder breeders.

*sulk*

So, I think at least two people here are from Indy, and maybe you know of some elusive breeder that is hiding out somewhere? I'm tempted to special order a rat from a pet store in Indianapolis, but it would cost me $20 to place the order, plus the price of the rattie, and it would take up to 8 weeks to get him/her, and even then they can't promise I'll get what I'm looking for.

Any help? Like I said, I've tried every online source I can find, so I'm grabbing at straws.

(If this is in the wrong section, I apologize - hopefully a mod can move it.)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can name the rescues if you'd like, I've tried Petfinder but they don't list many ratties in Indiana. The shelters I've called don't even take in anything that's not a dog or cat, but maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I'm a volunteer with EARPS of Indy. We already have a big problem with unwanted rats in Indiana, so I encourage you to adopt instead of buy. Who cares what they look like?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm sure she won't love the rat ONLY because it's siamese. Sometimes there's just a certain type that you want. Like I am going to a breeder to get a blue dumbo, that doesn't mean I don't love my guys who aren't blue dumbos. It's just a color/type that i really want.

Anyways, I way in Cali so I'm no help in your breeder search. Good luck!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JulesMichy - I've checked the rats on Petfinder for EARPS, and there is only 1 single male rat that is up for adoption (I can't take more than one, as I would need to buy another large cage, which is not something I am willing to do right now since I live in a small apartment.) This rat is named Bradley, and his profile mentions he does not get along with other males, which spells trouble, because I already have three boys.

If there are other rats you have that are not on the Petfinder page, feel free to send me links! The EARPS I was looking at was located in Brownburg, by the way - I don't know if there is more than one location.

edit - I do care what they look like, and I am not going to get another rattie unless it is a Siamese. Call me shallow, but I only have room for one more rattie, and I want it to be something special. I don't want to grab the first rat I see, just to fill up my "last rat" slot. My very first rat was a Siamese, and I have been searching since she died for another Siamese. I wish she were still here. :cry:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I've also had asked people from EARPS to meet half way with HVRR before since one of their volunteers travels there and back quite often. So that's another option for you to look to, even if it is in Michigan.

My aunt has a siamese but she got it from my dad who raises snakes so got it from a feeder breeder ): I don't really like feeder breeders but he has a wonderful personality as did my first rat that I rescued from my dad who came from the same lady. Of course that first rat died at 8 months a horrible death from a internal tumor.

If you want a rat like that so bad you can wait for it. The right one will come to you eventually if you keep looking.

·
Registered
745 Posts
The ones on the Petfinder page are just the ones currently in foster. You could try emailing Sarah and see who's on the waiting list.

And yes, I think it's shallow to buy any animal from a breeder just for looks. Health, temperament, those are valid reasons to find a good breeder. Aesthetics? No, I'm sorry. That's just cold and selfish.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
its not that big a deal. i use the aesthetics to keep me from getting every rat out there. if i put stipulations on the rat that i will get then its harder to find it and so not as many come home. will power also works here of course, but its a trick i use to bolster that will power. after all i don't NEED more rats, i have some already and so does she. not everytime a person uses aesthetics as factor does it need to be swallow or selfish.

and obvisously she considers the temperment and health a valid concern too otherwise she would just shop the pet stores for a siamese instead of going to the trouble of a breeder. i'm not sure what her area is like but mine is filled with siamese in the pet shops now. the aesthetics are important to her, and there's nothing wrong about that.

as for breeders and rescues in your area, i really can't help you. i'm way in canada and here, we don't have many reputable breeders at all. i hope you'll able to find one though it may take some time and a lot of patience.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just did a quick net search and I couldn't find anything either. :(

Is there any way that your regular breeder could call the rattery that she referred you to?

It's definitely not cold or selfish to have favorite type of rat and to be solely interested in that type. It's like having a size preference in dogs. Some people like big, short haired dogs and some like small furry dogs. You wouldn't be calling them cruel or selfish for that preference would you?

·
Registered
745 Posts
You can think that there's nothing wrong with choosing a pet solely based on looks if you want. And I will think as I like.

and obvisously she considers the temperment and health a valid concern too otherwise she would just shop the pet stores for a siamese instead of going to the trouble of a breeder. i'm not sure what her area is like but mine is filled with siamese in the pet shops now.
No, because she said she was going to reserve one from her pet shop if she has to. So obviously she doesn't care about health and temperament. She just wants a Siamese no matter what, even if it means supporting rat mills.

It's definitely not cold or selfish to have favorite type of rat and to be solely interested in that type. It's like having a size preference in dogs. Some people like big, short haired dogs and some like small furry dogs. You wouldn't be calling them cruel or selfish for that preference would you?
Comparing apples and oranges. As long as they went to a rescue and picked out a small dog (and there are rescues for every breed on the planet), then I'd be fine with that. In this case, she's turning down rescue rats purely based on their looks.

I've got nothing against good breeders, or people who buy from good breeders for what I consider to be the right reasons (health and temperament). The minute I see: "i wanna blu rattie cuz there SOOOO KAWAII!" it makes me want to smack the person for being so, yes, shallow.

·
Registered
132 Posts
lol

We definitely have different point of views.

I'm sure if you guys had a rescue Siamese she would look into adopting. She wants a specific kind of rat and unless you have one in your rescue don't judge her for going elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Many rescues don't list all their rats on Petfinder. I don't... Ones in QT, or that are under vet care are generally not listed. Sometimes, highly deserable rats aren't (you can't imagine the email floods when hairless/double rexes are listed), or litters aren't always listed, as they often are adopted before I even get them on Petfinder, though forums and whatnot. I get emails all the time, asking if we have this color, or dumbos, etc.

I know for sure that EARPS has MANY rats, and not all are on Petfinder. There are also many other rescues in Indy, rat and small animal. There's a chance they have a Siamese. At least shoot them an email to ask (mass mail if you want to save time). Then you can get the marking you want, and save a rat. If not, at least you tried. Some may offer to let you know when a Siamese comes in.

Happy Endings

EARPS is VERY awesome. Email Sarah, she's great: [email protected]

Heartland Small Animal Rescue sometimes has rats, we've worked with them.

There's also HVRR in MI, who did have 2 Siamese, I'm not sure if they've been adopted. She'll work out transport when possible.

If you're willing to wait, and since you asked about breeders, you must (since most have waiting lists and only breed x-amount of times a year). :) You could be "on the list" at rescues, and continue searching for breeders. Heck, I'll put you on our "want list", if you ask.

JM is right - there's a LOT of unwanted rats in Indy, hence why we and other rescues like HVRR take in "overflow" a lot. :(

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kimmie - Aren't Happy Endings and EARPS the same thing? Every time I click to look at the adoptable animals, it takes me to the same place. I'll e-mail both places, but I want to be sure I'm not getting them mixed up. I'll also try HVRR and any other shelters I can find. Thanks for the links.

Jules - I said I was "TEMPTED to order one from a pet store." You know, like something you think about doing but you end up not doing? If I wanted to go that route, I would have already done so. Instead, I chose to post here so I could find other options. I'm sure you've been TEMPTED to buy ratties from a pet store when you know they're going to end up as snake food, or TEMPTED to break quarantine just so your ratties can play together.

I have no problem with taking a rescue rat, but don't expect me to "settle" just because I have the space to house one more rat. I don't NEED another rat, as Twitch mentioned, so I am only going to get another if it is something I really want to do.

·
Registered
745 Posts
The two merged awhile ago. I think Happy Endings is primarily the sanctuary for unadoptable rats nowadays.

BlueSkyy said:
I'm sure you've been TEMPTED to buy ratties from a pet store when you know they're going to end up as snake food
Actually, no, I haven't ever been tempted to buy from a pet store.

I have no problem with taking a rescue rat, but don't expect me to "settle" just because I have the space to house one more rat.
Geez. :roll: No, that's not cold and selfish at all. Sorry, but when you've worked in shelters and rescue as long as I have, people like you make people like me homocidal. "Settle" indeed.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It makes you homicidal that people have preferences for the type of pets they decide to buy?

·
Registered
393 Posts
JulesMichy said:
The two merged awhile ago. I think Happy Endings is primarily the sanctuary for unadoptable rats nowadays.

BlueSkyy said:
I'm sure you've been TEMPTED to buy ratties from a pet store when you know they're going to end up as snake food
Actually, no, I haven't ever been tempted to buy from a pet store.

I have no problem with taking a rescue rat, but don't expect me to "settle" just because I have the space to house one more rat.
Geez. :roll: No, that's not cold and selfish at all. Sorry, but when you've worked in shelters and rescue as long as I have, people like you make people like me homocidal. "Settle" indeed.

I've kept quiet until now but think what you're spouting is pretty over the top. You're making rescues look bad with your extremist attitude.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Darksong17 said:
I've kept quiet until now but think what you're spouting is pretty over the top. You're making rescues look bad with your extremist attitude.
Anyone who thinks I speak for all rescues needs to have their IQ tested. These are my personal views, and in no way reflect on rescues as a whole.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts