Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
>_< Why do so many people in this state seem to have such a hard time admitting that maybe they don't know everything there is to know about the world, and maybe they could be wrong about something they thought they knew? Back in Washington (state) I never had this problem... Well. Ok, that's a big fat lie, but I didn't have this problem as often. That's the truth!

I found out a local pet store keeps their animals on Pine bedding, and when I confronted them about it they said "Pine doesn't cause problems. You're thinking of Cedar."

I said "Actually, I've been doing a lot of research and I've read that both pine and cedar cause serious respiratory problems in rats." but they just blew it off. One even gave me a death glare for challenging their animal-smarts. Apparently they have never had any of their rats die from being on pine, nor have they ever had a customer complain of buying a sick rat from them... But at the other store (same company, different location) I saw a rat with a horrible Porphyrin build up around his poor little nose.

I feel at a loss now... I can't find any knowledgeable breeders in this area. I can't find any adoptable rats who are A: in this area, and B: young.. I know it's horrible, but I really want to have a decent length of time with my future ratties. They'll be my first rats ever, and I'd rather not have them die within only a few months of bringing them home. And the pet stores around here are run by thick-headed idiots. I don't know where to get my future rats, or even where to look, at this point.

I've been emailing a breeder who lives in Maryland about baby rats, and even though she has assured me that both parents of the babies are in very good health, and the babies are absolutely gorgeous with great personalities, I have no way of getting to Maryland in order to bring home the little fuzzballs.

I work at a pet store... I work at PETCO for crying out loud, and we all know what kind of a reputation the big-name pet stores like them have, yet I can not only find time to educate myself about the animals I work with, but I'm open to the fact that many of my customers know more than I do, and can infact teach me something that they never taught me in Pet Authority Class. Heck, if I only ever listened to what they taught me at work, and blew off the things customers taught me, I'd still be under the impression that rats can do fine in a 10 gallon tank on a diet of corn and sugar. Why is it so hard for other pet store employees to do the same? :(

...Rant over. u_u

·
Registered
343 Posts
[align=center]Most Pet stores are in it for the money. They don't care what anyone else has to say as long as what they are doing is making the green stuff. :( [/align]

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I miss the old Petco I worked at before transferring. There, we saved so many fuzzy lives by showing concern for their health right away, instead of just waiting and watching. Sure, some still died despite being treated for their illnesses as soon as we caught them, but not as many.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I feel your pain :-( I also work at a pet store. Its a chain store but not nealy as ubiquitous as PetCo or Petsmart. Its not even the name of the store but the people working there. There is a Petco in the plaza next t us and the place is horrible, no one who works there has any idea what they're talking about. I'm going to start a book compiled of things people have come over and said to us from that store.

Everytime I hear some one talking about how pet store workers don't give a sh** I think about my little Mr. Stumpy. Mr. Stumpy is an ~14 in Chinese water dragon who came in ill, after two weeks of warm water baths, syringe feeding and care, he has bounced back and is now eating crickets on his own. Would I have done that if I didn't care? (this isn't directed at anyone)

Something I've noticed working at a pet store, people don't actually listen to you anyway, I can tell them a thousand times that the baby beardie they're buying needs a UVB light, but everyone is an expert and pet store workers are all idiots so they don't listen, or on the off chance they do listen they warp what you say into what they wanted anyway (betta in goldfish bowl = 6 fantails in goldfish bowl ?????). Honestly there is nothing I love more than talking to people who know what they're talking about, the store I work at is a discount store so we get a lot of people who run rescues, which is awesome.

**we keep our herps and buggies on appropriate substrates, our ferrets and rabbits on cellsorb (bigger YN) and all small animals on generic carefresh

****Sorry for the rant

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't like it when people assume that all pet store workers don't know anything, too. It's true that a LOT of pet store employees don't know, or don't care about anything but the money, but it's unfair to assume that ALL of them are like this.

When a ferret fell on it's back at the old Petco I worked at, our boss jumped to his feet and rushed the little thing to the vet right away. His hind legs were paralyzed, but we didn't put him to sleep. We did what any pet store SHOULD do--we cared for the little guy as if he was our own pet for as long as it took to get him better again, then one of the groomers took him home. Last I heard before I moved out of state and transferred to a different Petco, the little ferret was looking for surgery to see if they could get his hind legs working at 100% again.

If you're going to get into the pet industry, it's your job to care for the little fuzzies you're working for, even if it means admitting you're wrong about a certain way you've been caring for an animal, or even (god forbid) spending a crapload of money on vet bills for an injured pet you're not even going to keep for yourself, such as the little ferret.

If only all pet stores had the same good sense of responsibility and love for their animals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts