Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so confused! basically I have a 2 yr old male and a 6month old female (who is blind, tailess and very timid). I got the female because the pet shop thought she was male. Soo... today I rang the vet asking if she thought I should neuter the male at which she said no because of his age. Then I thought well is it worth neutering any of them incase they don't get on, which today I found out they definatly DONT... my little female is now traumatised and my male pinned her down and bit her hard, luckily I thought to put a harness on him incase any of that happened. She's ok and I managed to check her out n clean her up but I think I will have to keep them seperate :( my friend is breeding in a few months and I said I wanted 2 bucks off her (if all goes to plan etc) and so I thought I could still get them, neuter them and put them with my female. But does anyone have any advice? I feel really sorry for my old buck but he I just don't know what to with him! Should I try him with some other rats? Or is it just not worth it?! He is fairly old now but I don't want him to die lonely but I dont want him to hurt anymore rats!!! Sorry this is long but any advice would be apreciated.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you want him or the new bucks to live with your female you would probably have to have them neutered, Id guess. She'd get beat up and pregnant otherwise.

Or if you just want your male in with the new guys you could try them out together and see what happens from there?

·
Registered
197 Posts
ok wait.. now this is wrong..

I was always bashed cause i use to let my unfixed male and female rat play together but no one bashes her over it.. just because her female is blind doesnt me it cant get prego... so why am i always bashed but shes not????

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Tailless females are more often than not sterile.

Besides which, aqualaureena hasn't ignored/argued with us many times over that it'll be okay. I think we basically got frustrated with you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank u 4 the advice, I had my male rat in a harness when I let them together so if he did attack/try and mate with her then I could pull him off her if worst came to worst, and yeah apparently alot of females are sterile and or deformed in that region and she is still very scared which is why I dont want to spay her. I'll try and get a picture of her on here, shes very cute! But cheers for all your support.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I don't see any reason why you couldn't introduce new boys to your older male, if you follow the proper introduction process. Perhaps you can get a boy and a girl, a friend for each of your current rats?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I will try and get 1 baby girl and 2 boys, my female is only young anyway but with my male being old I think 2 boys is best. I know you are meant to introduce rats on neutral ground but how long for and over what period of time? Thanks again!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Is it safer on the rat's health to have a male fixed, or a female fixed? Or is it the same difference?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Males, usually... It's much less invasive, so it's not as hard to recover from.

However, spaying a female produces many more health benefits (less tumors!)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
aqualaureena said:
I think I will try and get 1 baby girl and 2 boys, my female is only young anyway but with my male being old I think 2 boys is best. I know you are meant to introduce rats on neutral ground but how long for and over what period of time? Thanks again!
It really depends on your rats as to how fast you can put them together.

First, you should have a 2-3 week quarantine with the new rats, preferably in a different airspace.

After that, some people like to put the two cages side by side for a while, so the rats can get used to each others' scents. I did this with our girls.

Once they are calm and living happily next to each other, take them to a neutral place, like a bath tub or your bed or large couch - anywhere none of them have been before and where you can get to them to break up any fights. Let them play together a few times like this until you think they are getting along well.

After that, thoroughly scrub the cage that they will be sharing and rearrange it so it feels and smells like a new cage and, hopefully, you should have some very happy cage mates! Just watch them very carefully for the first couple of days. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts