Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the baby boys are housed in the bottom of the dcn that typically houses the adult girls..originally they were in the top but aris bit them through the bars when they would stand over the part that the pan had been eaten by ....so they went to the bottom and all was well but now they get curious at times and stick their little noses close to the bars again (I presume I haven't seen it happen) and they keep getting bit! And it looks bad idk if I should put something on it?
http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b568/grawrisher/Mobile Uploads/20141226_230854_zpsvx7fccit.jpg
This happened to patches face when they were on the top half but it doesn't seem to be healing right?
http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b568/grawrisher/Mobile Uploads/20141226_230824_zpshdhvwqho.jpg
This happened In the past couple days
http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b568/grawrisher/Mobile Uploads/20141226_230924_zpsvwfrs3yd.jpg
This happened to poor baby jasper today

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Those look terrible!! Poor boys! Can you put some cardboard or a tile or anything at all down over the cracks at least to keep this from happening? It might be pretty hard to clean with their noses being the torn parts, but you can try rubbing on some antibacterial soap and warm water on them to keep it clean until it starts healing? They might need ABs if they're healing poorly and getting infected or abscessed. Poor little guys.. If it keeps on happening, what have you done already to try to stop it? Do they tear through it or remove it?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well initially they were on the top half and the boys didn't realize why it was happening when they were eandering around over the hole in the pan I presume so I switched babies on bottom and put the adults litter box over the hole in the pan (it's the sort of litter box that attaches to the cage wires so it stays there) now EVIDENTLY there is another hole that I was not initially aware of...I honestly think I just need to go get another cage for the boys tomorrow. ..there are these unfortunate faces wounds and she actually bit the ends of another guys toes off! The poor thing I'm not sure if claws will grow back on those two toes (he wouldn't let me take a picture) it wasn't happening when I first moved them into the bottom but it's clearly happening now :( I just feel so bad about it

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Clean it with saline solution and get a tube of silver solution. Its the best antimicrobial on the market. You can find it at Wal-Mart, Meijer,CVS, Walgreen etc.etc.
Clean the wounds two to three times daily and add a thin layer of silver solution after each cleaning. It'll boost healing and keep infection at bay. It's also rat safe.
As for fixing the cage, I recommend ceramic tiles. You can get them for really cheap at Lowe's, i gotmine for forty something cents per tile.

EDIT: The silver solution is made by Curad.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will definitely have to get some silver solution what is that generally in an aisle with? Bandaids and neosporin? Something else entirely? As for saline solution is it alright to use the kind I use for my contacts? Or do I need to get some other kind?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I second what Hey Fay said, that's how I clean all the wounds my rats get. For saline solution I just mix salt and water and taste it to know it's just right. The silver solution is in the neosporin and ointment related section. I couldn't find it at CVS or Walmart but CVS sells a store beans called silver gel

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We don't have a CVS (although if we did I could get discounts on prescriptions through the company I work for which TOTALLY. MAKE SENSE GUYS...ok sorry rant over) I will look at both walmarts, all 3 walgreens and both Boyds if I have to and I'm definitely putting Lowe's on my list for tomorrow

·
Registered
2,474 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found silver solution at walgreens today and put tiles in the cage! I actually went to 6 different stores for various rat things and I'm pooped but it was very productive

1 - 10 of 10 Posts