Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all! This is my first post, so forgive me if I'm a little out of the loop. I've recently gotten two young female rats, after losing my last gerbil to old age, and, unfortunately, didn't realize how awful tanks are for them. x.x Yes, I know, I should have come here first instead of browsing google for hours on end. One barely has to skim this section of the site to know that tanks are a bad idea. None the less, my poor ratty dears are in a 20 gallon tank with a makeshift wire cage atop one side (I know that doesn't fix that matter, but I am hoping that it will help for a temporary arrangement.)

Now, my point to this post is to request a bit of advice. I am but a poor highschool student for now, but thankfully have been under the influence of bribery for grades since I started getting report cards. So, I will have, hopefully, enough to purchase a good quality cage shortly. For now, though, I am doing my best to remedy my mistake by researching cage types like a mad woman. So far I have determined that Martin cages are of good quality and a few are within my price range. (my price range being around $50, but I can scrounge up more, though my limit is $100, preferrably lower, so I can have money left over for other ratty goodnesses to spoil my dears with ^/.\^)

So, my question to you all is this: Should I give in to the cheap Scottish blood within me and buy the Rat Cabin (R-670) or should I hold out for another twenty dollars or so and get the Rat Lodge (R-680), /or/ am I completely out of my mind and in need of a totally different cage for my two lovelies?

(P.S. Know also that I won't be getting much parental help here, my Mum spoils me rotten but has already given me more than enough in 'allowance' and my Da is positive in his opinion that he knows more about rats in aquariums than the fine folks here x.x)

(P.P.S. Know also, also, that I have fairly limited space, as well as budget, my room (the only place I trust to keep rats where they'll be safe from the majority of my house's other pets) is really rather small)

Thanks in advance, I'm sure my ratties'll be in a proper home in no time. ^/.\^

·
Registered
229 Posts
Get the biggest one you can afford, and I'd recommend you get it powder coated. Some people have had to throw away galvanized cages because the metal gets completely ruined by the rat's pee. Imagine spending all that money just to throw the cage away in the end, because you can't do anything with the ruined metal. Powder coated is a bit more expensive but is totally worth the extra money, and it comes with a plastic bottom, too. :)

I just cleaned my powder coated R-690 for the first time today and it's so easy... It took less than 30 minutes to hose it down, scrub, wipe off, refill the bedding, and return the happy girls to it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mm, I was planning on getting powder coated, I saw a fair few posts with that information already, thanks though.

Of course getting the biggest I can is my hope, but I'm hoping to find out if a R-670 is big enough for my two girls. I'd rather get them bigger than they need, but I also would rather have them in a proper home as soon as possible, and it would take me more time to scrounge up enough money for much bigger than R-680.

Thank you so much for your input, it's great to know the Martin cages aren't too tough to clean and to have another person actually tell me that Martin cages are a good idea. ^/.\^

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
The R-670 is actually small for girls, has very little room to decorate and is harder on older rats because of the steep ramps.

My fav Martin's cage is the R-680...tons of room, biiiiig door in front, it really is truly worth it. I bought 5 of them :D

R-670 with 2 smaller girls

My R-680 with a young mom and her four 7 week old daughters :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, R-680 looks wonderful! I'll definately opt for powder coated R-680. Thank you for the help!

Now...off to clean the chicken barn for money! ....I may need a few more layers....(Maine in January=Cooooold)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts