Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first, can rats even get asthma?

One of my rats has been on and off making some humming sounds as would with some sort of upper respiratory infection. No rattling though. about two weeks ago we had him on a 10 day course of doxycycline (however you spell it) and it seemd to get rid of the sounds we heard. He has been completely fine for a week. but now ive noticed after he is running around for a period of time, he starts to make the sounds again. i listen to him up to my ear several times a day, and he seems totally fine when i take him straight out of his cage and listen. but after running around and i listen i hear slight sounds. the first time i noticed it had come back was when i took him outside and sat there with him while he sniffed the air while sittign on my shoulder. but that wasnt even for five minutes.

So i'm curious as to what this could be. allergies to something? asthma? or URI? i'm considering taking him to a vet

id like some feedback first

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
rats will make some noises when sniffing out knew things, their excited. it shouldn't be very loud though.

but to your question about asthma, yes and no is the answer. all rats have a thing called myco, the easiest way to think about is as if it was asthma. a person with only a very mild case of asthma can live a very normal life without showing any signs of it until they get sick. when they get sick the illness normally hits hardest in the lungs. if the illness lasts for a long time then the lungs can be damaged leading to a worse case of asthma. the asthma of course also aggravates any illness in the lungs and makes it worse and harder to treat. if the illness is caught quickly and treated aggressively then little damage is done and the person can go back to living their life as thy did before. this is what happens with rats as well, but its called myco (for short-there's a longer name for it but i can't for the life of me spell it out).

as far as allergies are concerned, they can happen just as they can happen in any other animal but it does seem to be very rare. is there anything you think it could be if it were allergies? something that he wasn't around during the week that he was fine but is now?

so you may be mistaking the sounds as illness that are normal but then again the illness could be coming back. the recommended time for a course of anti-biotics is normally 14 days as with only 10 the illness can recure but be more tolerant of the meds. its like when our parents wouldn't let us out to play the next day after we started feeling better when we were sick.

if you are unsure of the sounds then the best bet is have him checked out by the vet though. always better safe then sorry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i have had sick rats before, ones with myco and ones without. It does sound somehwat similar to early stages of myco, before it gets bad and is in the lungs. but its not constantly there which leads me to believe it could be other things. I'm going to keep a close eye (and ear) on him and if it isnt going away or it is getting worse i will probably take him to the vet (before it gets so bad though obviously, but when i get more suspicious)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Rats can certainly have allergies. One way to see if that's the problem is to try different beddings, move the cage, figure out if there's any possible allergens near the cage, etc.

Out of curiosity, what bedding do you use?

I always recommend a vet-trip if there's something that's not quite right, especially when it could involve URI's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i use care-fresh. the grey one tends to be more dusty. but i use that more. at the very moment they have the white one in becuase its less dusty, but i find it tends to stink up faster even if the cage had been cleaned a day previously.

ever since i got this guy hes seemed to have something going on. i got him from a breeder (not just some person who "breeds" rats but she knows her stuff and only breeds the top of the line) and his two brothers (well they are half brothers- same fathers but each have different mothers) seem to be totally fine and always have been. i have 3 dogs. could he be allergic to the dogs? but maybe not because its not always aparent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts