Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rescued two rats today from an owner surrender. I picked the mother and the largest baby which was twice as big as all the other babies.

I'm wondering when you can tell whether a rat is male or female? I was told that this baby is a female and it certainly doesn't look like a male yet but I want to be sure. She said the babies were somewhere between 1-2 months in age. Like I said this rat is huge by comparison to the others so would size make a difference?

on a different note, the mom has one pink/red eye and one black! Can't wait to show pictures. I've never seen that before!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
You should be able to tell by now. You should be able to tell from 4 weeks or so.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Odd-eye rats are adorable. I haven't been lucky enough to come across one personally but I just love how goofy they look in pictures where both eyes show...xD

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've come across.. Four in my area. One was a sweet boy that we should have kept, another was a not so sweet boy that we kept for a while and then found him a home lol Then we have a blazed capped girl who is discreetly odd-eyed and then one of our pedigreed girls, who is a blazed capped as well.

There are different types of odd-eyed I guess you could say.
Red eye and a black eye
red eye and a ruby eye
or the most difficult to see- ruby eye and black eye

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
If you know what you are doing you can sex babies from birth. I sexed my oops litter accurately at 3 days of age. :)

At 4 weeks plus the testicles are developed in the male and very obvious. I would say that you have a female.

my orphan Dilbert at 3 weeks

Dillyman at 3.5 weeks (he was and is a very good handwrestler)
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Dillylicious at 4 weeks

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
What a gorgeous rat!! I love the last picture - he looks like he's saying "ok, ok! I know what you want! I'll do it myself, geeze!" :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts