Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my rat is female, spayed, 2.7 years old. Aprox 14 days ago I noticed a foul smell from her right ear, found brownish wax-like exudate, she was scratching more than usual. Besides that, she's perfectly fine, she has no other symptoms- no head tilt, no redness, no porphyrin, no sneezing, nothing. Started treatment that day with 10mg/kg Baytril every 12h for 10 days, and ear drops with enrofloxacin, clotrimazole & dexamethasone for 3 days. Yesterday I noticed she still has that brownish exudate, the smell is not as bad as before but it is still smelly, it's like sweet and kind of fetid. It's really weird, could it be possible that her infection is not caused by bacteria? I'm thinking about a fungal infection. I'm really confused because it appears that the Baytril didn't do anything, I mean, when it is caused by bacteria, an antibiotic at least works for some time and then the symptoms return. That's why I'm thinking it could be something else. Does anyone has ever had a case like this?

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'm thinking that it could possibly be a fungal infection or something got stuck in her ear. You should probably get a sample to you vet for testing and have your vet look inside the ear of they didn't already

1 - 2 of 2 Posts