Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is sort of cute, the way Zita curls up her little front paw and favors it when she walks, but sort of sad. Not a medical emergency, I think, and I'm going to wait a little bit to see it it rolls over, but wanted to share that one of my girl's is limping. She doesn't squeak when I touch her paw or leg, so that's good. Just posting to ask about it, me being over-cautious about EVERYTHING -animesweatdrophere-

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I, being equally as cautious, would take her to a vet. XD

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know, that was my first reaction, but mum says to wait. So I'll wait. Untill tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
My dad always makes me wait til the weekend XD

·
Registered
259 Posts
that happened to my little boy but with his back leg... at first i was really worried but then researched rat foot injuries a bit and found out that if there is no open sore or clearly visable broken limb the rats can usually nurse themselves back to health. and sure enough he did! if doesnt clear up in about a week i would say take her to the vet. =]

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay. It seemed a little worse today but maybe it has to get worse before it gets better?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Does he let you touch it? Does he screech if you do? Does it look limp or broken?
If yes then I'd say go to the vet.

Carrot has this problem quite often. She holds her foot and hobbles on 3 legs, and sometimes the paw looks swollen.
We check to make sure there are no breaks, and if she doesn't scream when we touch it we leave her to get over it.

I might a good idea to take out anything for him to climb on, just so he is forced to rest more, but I wouldnt worry too much about the vet just yet. If there is no improvement after a few day then he will be able to give him a painkiller. The first time with Carrot, she had an injection, and now we have a bottle of metacam which is a liquid. She has some of that and shes fine the next day.

They are quite tough little things really

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She's okay with it being touched, and it's impossible to keep her from climbling things, heh. But I feel so bad whenever I let her out to freerange, so I just try to pick her up most of the time.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
It sounds like a mild sprain, as long as it doesn't swell up badly, just let her deal on her own. For mild sprains I just let them do what they want to. For bad sprains I use an anti-inflammatory/pain killer (I use metacam but infant liquid Motrin/Advil can be used OTC).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Our little Willow held one of her rear legs up against her body (not using it at all) for over a week. It didn't look hurt at all, no swelling etc., so we just waited it out. After about a week, she began to use it cautiously, just a little bit. After another week, there was no sign that it ever hurt at all.

In other words, if it's just a sprain (as is likely), it will get better with time. I wouldn't worry too much... or waste the money on a vet visit... unless it swells badly or shows any other red flags.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Romi sprained her back legs often when she was younger, I found that a gentle stretch and massage helped it a lot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts