Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cage Bird Pet supply Parakeet Cockatiel Hey All! I just added some new things to the girl's cage. However they really haven't tried the rope so they crawl up the cage and sideways which kind of worries me that they'll fall. And they haven't gotten used to the new ladders I added. Any suggestions/ideas of what I could add to make it more fun for them?! Anything else and pictures are very much appreciated.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Baskets, cutting boards (with holes drilled and zip tied to the cage) and more taut hammocks make good shelves to make better use of the space. Dig boxs with fleece scraps, balls and treats are always fun. Definitely some type of hidey place- like an igloo or even a box with a hole in it. Depending on if your rats see the rope/ladder as useful they may not decide to use it. Don't worry about them crawling sideways on the cage unless they're geriatric, have hind leg degeneration or some other reason
By the way, I'm only seeing one rat...?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have the same cage, I originally had it like the instructions said to build it. But today since it was clean cage day, I decided to re do it, mainly so I could add their wheel in it. Fay likes it, Nova not so much. I attached a picture.

I second on getting huts, they love to hide. You can even make them, there are tons of YouTube videos of it. Even videos for making toys etc...
Could add a tube (i cut the end of a pringles can and used that, my girls love it) I also use cat balls, can get them pretty cheap. (just make sure no catnip)

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yes seconding tunnels! Both store bought, Pringle tubes or homemade cloth tubes with rings to hold it open. Cookie loved sleeping in a pringle tube so I always had one ziptied somewhere. More hammocks are always loved too x3

@linkmoon- where did you get the comercial cube hammock? My cubes are never pretty (and the boys don't chew on their cloth.... Pretty sure they're angels)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I got it at PetSmart it was $16.99 I believe. They had 3 types there, I like the cubed better haha! Eventually I would love to make my own, but would have to wait till I get a sewing machine. I suck at hand sewing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@cookiebear<3 the other one is in the corner by the water haha shes all black. thank you for the ideas! the black one (one you couldn't see) she nibbles SOO much and even though I have chew toys with them. Regarding the board with holes, did you make the holes in the board or is there somewhere you purchased it? I've seen them use the ladder with felt on them, i haven't seen them use the rope as much but i'm not home during the day due to work. I plan on getting a toy to which they can hide in and i just bought some ledges off of amazon so they can use those to get off the hammock too. Any tips for the chewing stuff?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@linkmoon thankyou for the photo! that helps a lot. I do plan on getting a hut for them. and I just bought that pink ledge thing off of amazon should get it by the end of this week. Only problem with the cage, the shelves fit funny and sometimes pop up and worry me so I think ima use a wood plank instead. is the blue cube one where they can crawl in? i've seen those in other cages too. I saw them use the hammock and I'm putting it back in once i get the ledge thing so I don't freak out as much about them falling. Thank you! the Pringles is a good idea!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts