Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh know my female rat just had babies and i dont know what to do?????
and it was only a litter of 4 and the male and female were brother and sister.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Welcome to our forums!

If your new mom isn't separated from the boy, you should do that as quickly as possible. They'll mate again right after birth.

Second of all, there's not much you need to do. Rat moms instinctually know how to care for their babies, so you can sit back and watch the babies grow.

However, you can give the mom nesting material, like paper towels, fabric (like fleece that doesn't fray), or shredded paper, and a box so that she can have a nice, comfortable nest. At this point though, she'll probably not want to move her nest, just add material to it.

Also, make sure the mom gets plenty of high-protein food to help nurture those little babies.

Have you lined up people to take the babies?

Some info:
http://www.ratlovers.org/articles/pregnant.html
http://ratgrowth.homestead.com/

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the information i got rid of the male rat because she had to wrestle him down to stop him going near her babies

·
Registered
432 Posts
If they were together after birth, your mom is likely pregnant again.

It's especially important to beef up her diet at this point, because both nursing babies and being pregnant will take a *lot* out of her.

Also, if she's alone now, you should keep 1 or more or the female babies to be her companion.

Here's a quote from a website about diet for pregnant/nursing mothers:
Pregnant or Nursing Females:

The big needs of pregnant and nursing females are adequate levels of protein and fat. These can be supplied using kitten or puppy chow, a good brand (such as Science Diet, Iams, Eukanuba, or any of a number of other good brands). Also table scraps can be useful, being palatable, as long as you avoid heavily spiced or salted or sugared items which are hard on the rat's system. (Note: avoid high fat foods.)

If a doe (female) appears to be expecting a good-sized to huge litter (based on the size of her abdomen), I will take away the lab blocks entirely in favor of the richer foods so that she has the best possible chance of providing adequate nutrition for the growing rat kittens inside of her. I will continue with this (with fruits and veggies, too, and sometimes a little grain mix or whole wheat bread) after the babies are born, but then I will add goat's milk for the extra protein, calcium, fat, and palatability. This is good for putting weight on a thin mother or helping boost up the runts. Sometimes a large litter will nurse the flesh off of a mother--she just doesn't eat enough to make up for what they are taking from her body by nursing. This is, in my opinion, VERY BAD for the female and should not be allowed. If necessary take the babies away for several hours a day and let her rest and eat--feed her lots of tasty food, rich food, eggs scrambled in butter, oatmeal with whole milk or goat's milk, canned kitten or puppy food, whatever she'll eat that's nutritionally rich. Meanwhile offer the babies the same foods separately. Hopefully this will let her catch up and quit losing condition.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Where'd you take him? Or what did you do with him?

She could very well be pregnant again. Male rats will sometimes pursue a female even between babies, before the birth is totally finished. Did you not know that they would breed or did you not realize that they were not both one sex?

The babies will mature quickly and should be seperated no later than 5 weeks of age. Or you'll have a lot more babies on your hands before long. Definately do some research, there are a lot of good sites with the right info already on them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well u might not like this but I let him go cos dont have acess to pet shops 24/7.

She is still looking pretty fat so she might still be pregnant.
and Ill keep maybe two females for company.

Thx for the info :D

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
You... you let a domestic rat go outside?

As in... outside. 8O

·
Registered
136 Posts
Why did you let him go? Why didn't you just put him in a seperate cage or bring him back to the pet store? He's going to die out there you know.... poor little guy.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
*grumbles under my breath* there are so many things i would like to say to you warock8 but i will refrain from it. Just know that you need to find those babies homes asap. seeing as you may just let the boys go if you are inconvenienced by them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You just put one of your pets outside to die? Wow.. I'm not even going to start with the irresponsible breeding stuff. You need to find homes for your rats before it's too inconvient to take care of them and you end up throwing them out too.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Eeek!
Now you know what to do in future. He might have been lucky and been found by someone its not unknown.
Please post your availiable rats on the "rats needing homes" section and I can advertisethem on the myspace. I'll have to make some down under friends :)
There is a link for most rat issues on the myspace (see below) please have a look (you dont need to be a member to view the site or if you are maybe you could be my friend?).
Anyhoo, dont be a stranger and we will give you inforamtion and support to make sure the rest of your rats are healthy and happy :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry it was letting him go or feeding him to the dog I was hoping thjat nature would take its toll and i wouldnt have to watch him die.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He was pretty fiesty and didnt like me but my mum and dad told me to

·
Registered
58 Posts
That is the most horrible thing I have ever heard anyone do. He was your pet, how could you leave him for death. I'm sorry but this makes me truly upset. I'm actually not mad at you but truly truly sad about that poor boy. Its sad to say but I care more about animals than people. You care enough about your female and babies to keep them safe, but let the male who is her brother fend for himself. How horrible. Oh and I just read the thing about the dog. You probably didn't do a thing to stop it, did you? I love all my pets so much and I don't understand how people like you have pets, when you really don't care. I shed a tear for the poor boy and mourn for the better life he could have had with a rat mommy.

I'm sorry if others find this rude. I gave one of my babies to someone and they lost her outside. I never forgave her for that and others should NOT follow her example.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
*walks away from this posting for good* i will only get myself in trouble if i try and educate you warock. take this peice of advice though. . . NEVER let domesticated animal run free in the wild. You wouldn't do it to a dog don't do it to a rat.. and when i say you wouldn't do it to a dog i mean you wouldn't take your dog out in the wilderness and leave him/her. it is ridiculous and absurd. If you needed to get rid of him that badly you go to a petstore or a rescue you keep him in a tank or seperate cage untill you find a place that he will at least have a fighting chance at surviving. Years of breeding have made it that our pet rats are not as instinctual as their ancestors there fore not as wiley in the wild. Your boy is in some snakes belly right now! ugh ok i have to end this before i get heated

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
ok so silly me didn't read the last post on the last page OMG take all of your rats and give them to the nearest pet store you should NOT own rats you were going to feed him to your DOG!!! *screams* how terrible of a person are you I know i should not attack you at all and i am sure you are a young person that doesn't know any better but if your parents told you to just let it go then you need not have pets such as rats!!!! ok now i wash my hands of you and i am sorry to anyone who reads this and thinks i am a horrible person but i needed to say this and i am sure i will get penalized for it but i am willing to take that chance

·
Registered
928 Posts
stephanie u are right! im sorry but as soon as i meet / get an animal i get a strange bond with them, to me animals are people and i love them even if they dont like me, and i hate to see harm come to any one all ive got 2 say 2 you warock8 is a few quick things if u had a baby and got bored with it or didnt get on and u just let it go you would be arrested also i never thought i would say this i dont think you should keep rat i really feel for them take them to a rescue center but fgs DO NOT put them outside have you no heart at all?!!?!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts