Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really concerned about my rats fighting. Its really not even fighting. It's increditbly one sided. Basically my older rat beats the crap out my new baby rat. I have a 4 month old that I have had for about 2 months. I just got a 5 week old that I brought home 3 days ago and the poor thing is being beaten. Snakie, the older one, randomly approaches Oreo, the baby, and smacks her. Sometimes they wake me up in the middle of the night because Oreo is squeaking so loud. I feel so bad for Oreo and really angry at Snakie. They do not groom each other and it looks like it has gotten to the point where Oreo runs and hides in corners whenever Snakie is around. I don't want them constantly fighting, because they are keeping my up at night, but also because Snakie should learn to play nice. What do I do?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Did you do introductions between the two? Or did you just drop the new baby in the cage?

It sounds like Snakie is probably being a bit territorial of her space with the new interloper. I can't say I much blame her. Now, if she's not drawing blood she's probably not out to truly hurt the baby yet, but she's probably trying to show that this is HER space and SHE is the boss.

Perhaps you could separate them and then introduce them more slowly if you think there's danger for the young one.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
sounds like you didn't do quarantine either. As far as the fighting I would seperate them immediately then do prper introductions on nuetral territory. Do some searches on this forum for introductions. There is alot of useful information here on intro's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts