Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've got a question for y'all. I've had my baby boy Albus for about three weeks now, and the vet recently told me that he's only about 8 weeks old (I didn't get him from a breeder, even though I said I'd never buy from PetCo again...he was too sweet to pass on). He's such a darling energetic baby, I'm just curious about how much he licks.

I have him on campus with me so he's getting a ton of socialization with my friends and I, and he licks everyone almost constantly. We like to hang out in the dorm lounge and let him run around from person to person since there are enough of us to keep a good eye on him, for example he'll run to the edge of the couch and at least three hands shoot out to make sure he doesn't fall or try to jump. Anytime he's with anyone, though, he'll lick their fingers, hands, face, etc. He licks more than any rat I've ever had!

Can anyone tell me why he might lick so much?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I could be wrong but my one girl does that all the time to me. It tends to seem like affection. Occasionally she'll very gently rub her teeth against me in between licks which I'm thinking is her attempting to groom me.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It's them grooming you/showing affection towards you. It's a good thing. Like some dogs lick like crazy some rats do too, plus they like the salt on your skin.

·
Registered
479 Posts
My boy heart rat, Gusgus, is horrible. Licks are bad enough, but if he gets near your face.... I have had my mouth pryed open and it hurts! XD but he just needs to make sure i'm clean inside and out. My girl heart rat Cricket is the same, but she is more gentle with the mouth... She does shove her nose in my ear though... Not pleasent!

·
Registered
335 Posts
My boy heart rat, Gusgus, is horrible. Licks are bad enough, but if he gets near your face.... I have had my mouth pryed open and it hurts! XD but he just needs to make sure i'm clean inside and out. My girl heart rat Cricket is the same, but she is more gentle with the mouth... She does shove her nose in my ear though... Not pleasent!
Haha. Mine both like my nose. LOL

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yeah, some rats are definitely lickier than others. If I put my hands anywhere near Opie he grabs hold of my finger and proceeds to clean my entire hand. Lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Albus likes the mouth and trying to get up my nose, too, but if he's on you he's probably going to be licking. He'll even use my lips as leverage to pull my head back down if I move my face away while he's at it, lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts