Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have begun introductions with baby Akira (10 weeks old) to my established duo, Ren and Niko (6mo old).

I began with a neutral territory meeting in the bathtub first, went well with calm grooming and sniffing.

Comfortable with their initial reactions, I began the first step in the carrier method in a 3 gallon carrier for about 45 minutes. This is where I began to notice baby Akira really become hyper. She would almost pounce on the older girls and spaz all over their faces in some kind of explosion of grooming. She would climb all over them, no regard for if they were trying to doze off. I didn't realize it until step 2 that she must have been peeing on them.

Before I began step 2 I introduced them in a new neutral territory on my bed for 15 minutes. Step 2 took place the next day in a 10 gallon birdcage outfitted with a hammock. Now, baby Akira couldn't seem to control herself. She was hyper the entire time whilst climbing atop her sisters and peeing on them every few minutes. She would cause them to squeak with her incessant dominating. No actual fighting, but I could tell it was not always a welcome gesture.

My older girls are so mellow, they flop onto their side and give in or simply wait until she's finished. Other than when they are eating or trying to sleep, they seem to tolerate it, but I did hear squeaks of displeasure many times.

What I don't understand is why seemingly the youngest, smallest rat is being so persistently dominant. I'm worried that Ren and Niko will become frustrated with her. I certainly don't know how they have patience for this wild child.

Any tips on how I can calm this dominating behavior during introductions? Is it just young energy and the desire to create a new pack that will fade with time? Thank you all.

·
Registered
258 Posts
To me it sounds like your younger rat is just hyper and wants to play, the squeaking may be signs of annoyance or just to tell Akira that they had enough. If your older rats aren't showing any signs of fear towards Akira, and if Akira isn't showing any signs of aggressiveness or hurting them then I'd say your doing well with introductions. Did you leave them together after the grooming?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts