Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted about my darling Oscar and his eye problem two years ago. The vet has given me medicine for him about it, but the situation was still there and it didn't seem to cause him pain. Unfortunately, he died from pnuemonia a few months after being diagnosed with it. And his cage mate, Felix, died a few months ago today. But now I have another rat problem: with this baby.

I adopted two hairless rats from my co-worker who's husband bought them on a whim for $5. She was iffy about keeping the animals because she didn't like them, but asked if I wanted them since she know I would give them a good home. Two days after taking them in, the biggest one gave birth! Only five survived to be two weeks and now they're starting to open their eyes, but there's this one baby I'm worried about.

ok.jpg

None of the other babies have this eye crust... thing. It seems to be over their eye and doesn't seem to cause them pain. I'm touched around the area and they just sat there. I want to know if this is just... a thing they'll clean off on their own or if it's a serious situation where I have to take this darling to the vet. Please, I'm desperate. I never asked to raise up a mother and her babies and this was a complete accident. I'm sure the owner was breeding them for her bearded dragons but it got out of hand and she just knowingly sold them just to get them off her hands. But I've fallen in love with this little buggers and I've done what I can. I just can't help with this one.

Thank you all in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
That eye isn't good. At minimum it looks infected. i would get get on antibiotic eye drops asap with the possibility of surgical removal of it doesn't improve.

Hairless can be born without eyelashes which can cause serious eye issues such as debris building up behind the eye. i know some owners who have had to regularly clean the eye socket a bit too keep the eyes healthy. At that age they look to small to have got much of a build up but we'll worth getting get checked over and on meds

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I shall get on this right away and keep anyone interested updated. If anyone else has any suggestions on what else I can do, please tell me!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Whilst you wait to get to the vets try soaking it in cold Black tea. That can help hydrate the eye. a blob of vasalene on the surface can also stop it doing out. human eye drops aren't bad as a short term solution too

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the eye drops solution for now. Honestly, I don't know what to really do other than that and the vet. If they have to get the surgery, I don't think they can survive it. They're not even three weeks old yet.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Id think you'd try medication for a few weeks. Just they may need surgery later on if the eye doesn't heal or fire back itself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I FINALLY have an update! According to the vet, it's not even an eye anymore. They're scheduled for a surgery in three weeks and he said they should be fine. :')

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He did not. I told him that even I don't know how that happened considering their eyes were closed for the longest so I don't see how the eye could be infected. Are hairless rats prone to that kind of thing after they've been born and haven't opened their eyes?

They're schedule for surgery on the 11th so when I drop them off, I'll be sure to ask him. Maybe it's one of those things that can't be explained? Like, development issues?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Could be genetic if both have it and they're siblings. I've just never seen anything affect an eye like that on a pup; poor little ones :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know that this thread is old, but I thought it would be a good thing to update those who were concerned for her, aka the little pup in that picture that I've named Beatrix.

Although she can't see out of it, the vet said that there would be no reason for the surgery! It looks a lot better than last time and that it isn't swollen. So, to save her from an unnecessary surgery, we're going to leave it and continue to just clean it out every day. I personally think that it was for the best. I mean, she was never effected by it. I've seen her snatch snacks and play with her siblings, mother, and aunt without a problem.

Also, kkrats, they aren't siblings! She was the only one out of the litter who got it. Her mom doesn't have it and neither does her aunt. I don't know about any relatives outside the mother and aunt. All I can hope is that that woman took are of them and treated them. :<

1 - 11 of 11 Posts