Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's annoying how when one rat gets an upper respiratory infection, all of them have to get it! I suppose it's just like humans getting sick though. One of my 2 boys got it about 2 months ago and I had some extra antibiotics to treat him with. Then while I was treating him for it, my other boy came down with it too so I had to split the medication between the two of them, which unfortunately meant they couldn't quite get the full round of medication in because I didn't have enough. But I am very broke right now and their vet is an hour away since I moved to my college apartment so I had to make do with what I had. Their illnesses mostly went away but it is still lingering I think since they didn't get enough medication maybe so im gonna call their vet tomorrow and hopefully he will give me some antibiotics without me having to drive the boys all the way there to be seen. Then after all this time, out of nowhere my baby girl got sick too. She sounded horribly congested, and I've never heard my boys sound like that when they are sick so I knew she was really bad and had to get to a vet quick. So i took her in today and sure enough she has pneumonia!! He said it's pretty bad and she would've died soon if we didn't catch it now. She should be fine to pull through now since we got her on the antibiotics today though right? Is there a high likelihood of death with pneumonia in rats? I know they can die pretty quickly once they get sick. The back thing is it cost me $42 for her special medication that is liquid and flavored. I absolutely could not believe it. It is ridiculous. i wouldn't even pay that much for my own medication let alone my rats. Man that hurt the pocket book besides the office visit charge itself. The total racked up to $100. That's rough but I sure wouldn't let her die. She better enjoy the flavor of that medicine, that's all I have to say lol. My boys get medicine that is tablets that I crush and put in food. It tastes bad and took me forever to find a food they liked and would eat it in but it was so cheap, definitely worth it.

· Registered
555 Posts
It's annoying how when one rat gets an upper respiratory infection, all of them have to get it! I suppose it's just like humans getting sick though. One of my 2 boys got it about 2 months ago and I had some extra antibiotics to treat him with. Then while I was treating him for it, my other boy came down with it too so I had to split the medication between the two of them, which unfortunately meant they couldn't quite get the full round of medication in because I didn't have enough. But I am very broke right now and their vet is an hour away since I moved to my college apartment so I had to make do with what I had. Their illnesses mostly went away but it is still lingering I think since they didn't get enough medication maybe so im gonna call their vet tomorrow and hopefully he will give me some antibiotics without me having to drive the boys all the way there to be seen. Then after all this time, out of nowhere my baby girl got sick too. She sounded horribly congested, and I've never heard my boys sound like that when they are sick so I knew she was really bad and had to get to a vet quick. So i took her in today and sure enough she has pneumonia!! He said it's pretty bad and she would've died soon if we didn't catch it now. She should be fine to pull through now since we got her on the antibiotics today though right? Is there a high likelihood of death with pneumonia in rats? I know they can die pretty quickly once they get sick. The back thing is it cost me $42 for her special medication that is liquid and flavored. I absolutely could not believe it. It is ridiculous. i wouldn't even pay that much for my own medication let alone my rats. Man that hurt the pocket book besides the office visit charge itself. The total racked up to $100. That's rough but I sure wouldn't let her die. She better enjoy the flavor of that medicine, that's all I have to say lol. My boys get medicine that is tablets that I crush and put in food. It tastes bad and took me forever to find a food they liked and would eat it in but it was so cheap, definitely worth it.
Hope your girl gets better soon ❤

· Registered
2,055 Posts
If you're having persistent URI problems, I would consider buying antibiotics online to have around just in case. Even at the recommended dose, some of whatever bacteria is causing the problem may be resistant, so by lowering that dose even further, you're almost ensuring that a resistant bacteria remains and is allowed to proliferate...creating an even harder infection to treat. The rule with antibiotics is to give the full dose for the full course, skimping on either of those will only hurt your animals even more (applies to humans as well).

· Registered
8,527 Posts
For the lingering boys infection try raw honey.

As for pneumonia, it's pretty deadly. My boy had it and barely made it through. He's alive after three weeks of heavy medication but suffered permanent damage. He'll likely die of it.

It depends when you caught it and how bad it advanced and previous illnesses and environment.

· Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The same vet that gave my girl antibiotics has given my boys antibiotics now too. She is doing much better after a couple days of the antibiotics and is unfortunately acting very naughty again lol so she must be feeling herself. I wasn't aware you can buy medication online. That's strange as that would be highly illegal for human medication lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.