Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a baby rat. She is about 6 weeks old. I think she might have a heart murmur?she breaths very heavy. Her heart rate is very fast and seems sort of warbley. Like the "washer machine" effect when dogs have murmurs. She also makes a chirping sound every breath she takes.

When she was born she was the biggest in her litter and continued to be the biggest and "healthiest" until she was about 3 weeks old. Then she almost seemed to have failure to thrive. She is now by far the smallest. But she eats and drinks well.

I do not think it is a URI. She has only ever been kept on fleece lining, in a open barred critter nation cage. Also she is currently living with other rats and noone else has any symptoms. Plus she is not sneezing, snuffly or anything like that.

I have seen URIs and this seems different.

She also was the most outgoing active and bright eyed. Now she seems oddly calm, and laid back.

What murmurs common in rats? Is this how a murmur displays in a rat?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
A rat who does well then fails to thrive after about 3-4 weeks (when they start supporting themselves) tend not to do well. It's useually a congenital defect and the long term prognosis is not good. I would get her to the vets and try antibiotics (in the hope it is something fixable) it could also be worth trying heart meds (ace inhibitors) as this is the most likely of the congenital defects. it's also worth giving her lots of easy to digest high protien and energy food. I wish I could give you more help. Just be prepared that there may not be anything you can do especially if she continues to lag.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Between 3 and six weeks old is also the typical onset for megacolon if she is a high white. But nothing you have written suggests it. I think a vet visit might be in order.

Best luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts