Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

New here! (I'll post an intro soon, I just wanted to get help on this asap).

We brought home two new baby girls this week, 8 weeks old. Introductions to our two 7 month old girls went fabulously. However, one baby has always been a bit smaller than the rest of the litter. (We bought them from a great breeder, so we saw pics weekly from the time they were born.) She looks a little skinnier now than when she came home, so I'm wondering if she's getting enough to eat. By skinny, I mean I can see her shoulder blades and feel her spine. Behavior wise, she seems strong as she can climb to the top of a double critter nation, but it seems like she's a little more sleepy than her sister. I scatter feed, so there's no competition at a bowl. I tried putting her in a travel carrier alone yesterday to have lab block/veggies/yogurt all to herself, but she was so nervous, she barely ate any. Today, I let her and her sister out for playtime, while the big girls stayed in the cage. I was hoping with her sister's company she'd be more comfortable and I'd be able to get her to eat a little yogurt, but no luck. She did take a few baby puffs, so that's something, but I know there's very little nutrition in those.

Any suggestions to help her put on some weight? Just adding more food to the cage seems like a bad idea, as my older girls are looking a little chunky after these past few days. I think they're definitely eating more than their fair share!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Click THIS link for an Emiology video on rats loosing weight and how to help them get it back.

Reactions: lfraser06

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had actually seen her video by chance just a day or two before the babies came home. Tried those things without luck, and the products she recommends aren't shippable to the US. Fortunately, I've had luck the past few days distracting the other three with regular snacks, while sneaking the little one some avocado ;) That avoids the stress of separation, and she looks like she's slowly catching up to her sister.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts