Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got two baby girl rats that I'm very fond of already. :) they have been doing good, some sneezing though apparently its to be expected. However I saw them chasing eachother around earlier and play wrestling and this involved a lot of squeaking -- again, perfectly normal apparently. However now I'm going to sleep and I still keep hearing squeaking, perhaps even more, and they're not play wrestling unless they're wrestling in their hammock. Are my babies okay or is something wrong? I have already checked both rats for any cuts by the way, I don't see any so I don't think either has actually hurt the other yet.

As always, thanks everyone!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
She's stopped squeaking so much now, still a little squeaking though. Can someone help? Do I need to act quickly? Cheers.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Healthy Rat squeaks vs. Sick Rat Squeaks

http://www.joinrats.com/RatHealth/SOUNDS/HealthyOrSickSqueaks/

If you post a video, we could tell you if it is ok or not.

Does she eats, drink as usual?Porphyrin around eyes, nose?Hold her close to your ears and do the "rat phoning" thing. How do her lungs sound like? Can you hear a clicking sound coming from her lung?

If they are playing, squeaking is perfectly normal- unless of course she has symptoms (like above) of being sick.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know what my rat with an URI sounded like and it wasn't this. It sounds like sneezing I think, not wheezing. I attached a recording but it might be faint because it's from my bed which is kinda far from my cage. They quit it when I got up and walked to their cage. (Light is off so I don't know if they noticed me or not lol)

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
It is difficult to say without the visual. Do they show any signs of being sick? Like fluffy fur or hunched back or lack of appetite...Where did you get your rats from?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know that at least those squeaks aren't sick squeaks. The squeaks I'm asking if they sound like she is hurt (like getting attacked by the other rat) or playing. There was no visual for that unfortunately because those are from in a hammock :/

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I would guess they are probably power grooming/pinning each other in the hammock occasionally.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Are any of your rats missing fur? Maybe one was power grooming (or barbering) the other and there was protest... No signs of URI sickness? Then you should be fine:)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If there are signs of a URI then they must be taken to the vet ASAP. It will only get worse and possibly turn into pneumonia without anitibiotics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts