Rat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my name is Katie. I just got a 5 week old hairless rat yesterday from a nice lady from Craigslist. Her sister had a litter, this one got an eye infection and the eye was removed 2 weeks ago. The woman I bought him from paid for everything and rehomed him to me - a very kind person! She told me that her vet only instructed her to wipe the wound if it got weepy, I don't know if he was on any antibiotics or pain meds but she didn't give me anything. The area is looking slightly swollen and a little pink, he keeps scratching it with his back foot and irritating it more. I put Vetricyn on it twice today. I tried to make him a little cone using bandage tape and camera film but he's too little, he either tried to go all the way through it or slipped it right off. I could use some tips!

Edit:
He is my only rat at the moment, I want to get him a friend when he's all healed. Do they have to be around the same age?

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Can you post a pic of the "eye"/surgical site. I have been through about 7 enucleations with my rescues so should be able to tell you how its healing. At 2 weeks it should be fully healed with no issues.As for a friend, its advisable to get another baby, they are easier to introduce and they will grow up together.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I took this last night
Hmmm did the vet know what they were doing? Normally the eye is removed and the skin sutured or glued together. This rat doesn't look like he had surgery and even if they removed his eye and left it open, now debris can accumulate in there and irritate things. I'll dig our pics if right after enuc and healed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought it looked weird too. I asked for the vet's name but she didn't remember, it was someone from the SPCA. Can I do anything for him over the weekend, before I can get to my vet?

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
As long as there's no infected smell you can probably wait. He's a cute little guy, let me know how you do at the vets?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No there's no smell, I don't think it's infected - just the lids are swollen and definitely not closed together by anything. He's a sweetie! Also his name is Uno :) I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We saw the vet today. The vet that took the eye out botched it. There is still remnants of the eye and the lids were never sutured shut. The socket/eye is infected after all so I have antibiotics and pain meds. Pus was coming out of the socket and his nose, my vet never saw anything like this before. Uno is expected to recover and be able to live normally though! We're going back in 10 days. Needless to say I am going to be contacting my SPCA!

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
We saw the vet today. The vet that took the eye out botched it. There is still remnants of the eye and the lids were never sutured shut. The socket/eye is infected after all so I have antibiotics and pain meds. Pus was coming out of the socket and his nose, my vet never saw anything like this before. Uno is expected to recover and be able to live normally though! We're going back in 10 days. Needless to say I am going to be contacting my SPCA!
**** I thought so!!! Is it possible no actual surgery was performed? The eye ruptured and maybe it was flushed but no actual enucleation?

Is he a healthy little bubber other than the eye/nose drainage?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My vet honestly had no idea what was going on, he was quite shocked when he looked in the socket. He seemed to think that there had been a surgery of some kind but who knows!

Otherwise he is healthy, thank goodness. I was given the option to have the rest of the eye properly removed once the infection is clear but the Dr. said he can still live a normal life without doing that so we'll see about that when the time comes :) Here he is a few minutes after we got home
Yellow Textile

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
If I were you I would do it. I took in a lovely old sick blind nakie girl from a shelter. A vet had seen her and said she had infected sockets. Got her home, looked at her and went Hmmmm. My vet found her eye sockets stuffed with debris and this started an infection. She went on antibiotics and we made plans to remove the dead tissue, and suture the eyes closed so no more debris could get in. Unfortunately we could never clear the infection (draining out of her nose to be able to put her under for the surgery. One day I came home to her gone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Poor baby, I'm so sorry that happened. I'm definitely leaning more towards having one last surgery. I'll see what my vet says when we go in for the follow-up

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
It's more of a cleanup, it won't be too traumatic to the eye as the tissue is dead, they will excise part of the eyelid so there are fresh bleeding surfaces to heal together, and then your darling boy can have a wonderful long life :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That sounds like it's exactly what he needs. He's doing great now, the swelling has gone down a lot and the color matches the rest of him.

Also another update: I contacted the person who runs my SPCA, where Uno's previous owner claims his surgery was done, and he has no record of any rat surgeries in the last 8 months. I think you were right again, the eye may have just ruptured and he never saw a vet :( I don't know why she would lie but it's definitely a fishy situation

1 - 16 of 16 Posts