Rat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I have a 6 week old baby, and I noticed that "she" has what feels like lumps between her vagina and anus.... I don't suspect that she has tumors in that area at such a young age... The area does look slightly more bulbous than her sisters ....
So.... Here is my baby nori 's junk!! I don't know if this is visible...

I'm so confused...
If I feel the area, it feels like there are two tiny lumps in there that move around. So...

Green Light Yellow Water Room
Arm Joint Leg Hand Room

Fawn

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just realized I wasn't entirely clear what my question is:
-has anyone seen a health condition in a 6 week old rat that would cause this?
-I know this is rare, but is my nori intersex? It does exist in rats, but it's got to be extremely rare

·
Registered
444 Posts
I was thinking intersex, the first picture looks like there might be some rattie balls...

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I definitely wondered about the poop thing as well, but there's also extra skin there, if that makes sense the little pouch appearance is just skin thats moveable ... She could just have extra skin there by some strange deformity...

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
She is definitely a she, only girls have that line. It's more than likely she's backed up. She could be intersex, it's uncommon but not unheard of; I think two of our members now have an intersex rat. You could take her to your vet to be sure.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
You can get fat pads in that location on girls. These are much squishier than testicles and generally smaller too. This is much more common than an intersex rat

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys... I have been paying attention to her, and I think she must indeed "backed up"....She still has those lumps.

She does not appear to be bloated at all, however. There is no diareha in the cage... I'm so worried sick about megacolon... Do you guys think this is an early sign of it...? Shes now about 2.5 months old... Could she just be a rat prone to constipation? I can't really find any pictures of this online... I'm freaking out... :(

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the way, the area is firm, not squishy, and I can kinda see a poop around the anus if I push gently on the lump... :( I really think it's due to poop.... but like I said, there is no swelling of her abdomen and no diarrhea in the cage...

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm so sorry for the multiple posts, but I may have just figured something out...? Okay, this may be a bit nasty to some but.... I gave nori a tummy massage to see if I could coax her to poop and see if the lumps went away.... I massaged her tummy and poop did come out. The poops were all sort of normal size and they weren't dry really, but the problem is how much came out, and how they are stuck together.....

Sorry if the pic below is gross, but I really need to know if she will be okay :( (I've gone through a lot this past month... My friend passed away three weeks ago and i took it hard, so I'm really anxious/not doing well... )

Is this normal....?

Stain

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it really normal for my very tiny 2.5 month old rat (shes smaller than her sister... tiny girl :( ) To have that much poop in there, and have it lumping near the anus like that....? I keep checking her tummy to make sure shes not bloated or anything... I just wonder why the heck the poop at the bottom is making a lump like that... it's really obvious and very strange.... Thank you for your help, isa :). I will take her to the vet if I notice anything... poor thing.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
The lumping at the anus isn't normal bit the droppings themselves don't look abnormal, baby rats can produce an awful lot of poo. If it happens again i would get her checked out as she's not passing it properly and it could be some sort of inertia/megacolon. its worth watching thete diet, sudden changes can cause constipation just as it can cause diahorria

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Isa! I am feeling a bit better about all this.. even if it is some kind of bowel problem, it seems she is mostly able to pass stool on her own right now.....Maybe she just tends toward constipation.... so I really hope it's not megacolon, although I keep telling myself I have the strength to take care of a megacolon baby even if she does have it... I can do it. Shes so adorable and loving, how can I not....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts