Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got two girl sister rats a week ago. They are 8 weeks old. One of them, Lisa, is doing really well, she's been getting bigger, likes to explore the cage, and comes over to investigate when I put my hand in the cage. The other one, Louise, is about 3/4 the size, is more timid, and also super low energy and sluggish. She isn't as curious as Lisa, and prefers to just curl up in a ball in a cozy corner of their cage all the time. She only perks up when I offer treats. What's going on? Do I have to worry about her? I already am. She is so sweet, I already love her so much. What is going on???

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Anytime an animal is acting over sleepy or sluggish it is best to take them to the vet just to rule out any health issues.

Where did you get them from? Are you 100% sure of their ages? While there are dwarf rats, it is unlikely you got one from a pet store or from a breeder that didn't tell you so. So Louise is either much younger or it is possible she was not the healthiest baby and is sick.

You said she perks up for treats, is she eating well? How are her poops?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's eating, and pooping. I got them from a woman whose rat had a surprise litter. There is a real chance that Louise is the runt of the litter, I think. Today she has been a lot more active, I think she may have been bored, because I put a toilet paper roll into the cage and she has been much happier. But she is still so little! Will she grow, or will I just have a smaller rat?
If she becomes lethargic again I will take her to the vet.
also, this is weird, but there is a real chance my rats aren't nocturnal. Is that bad for them? They go to sleep when I do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts