Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi :)

I have 2 baby dumbo's about 7 weeks old. I was wondering, is there a certain age they should reach before feeding them fruit and veg? Or is it ok to feed them some now? Any help would be great and even suggestions if possible! :) I currently have:
Strawberries
Blueberries
Celery
Spinach
Banana
Broccoli
Carrots

I have an elder male who loves all of this and they're all getting on really well after 3 days :) (see picture below)

Vertebrate Mammal Rat Muridae Gerbil

Rat Muridae Fur Rodent Ear

Vertebrate Mammal Rat Muridae Rodent

·
Registered
863 Posts
Those babies are beautiful!

I'm pretty sure they can have small amounts of the fruits and veggies you listed. Just cut the celery in small pieces so they can digest the strings.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I feed rats veg from the age they start trying foods (so 2-2.5 weeks old usueally) the key thing is to build it up gradually, too much and they will get upset stomachs.

I'd limit the berries/bannana to 1/2 times a week or dont feed loads, too much sugar isnt good for them

Dont feed spinach more than 3 times a week, its good for them in smaller amounts but overfeeding can lead to too much vitamin A (which is toxic at relatively low levels in rats)

Dont feed celery too often, its not the best nutritionally and whilst they might enjoy the odd peice its not goign to give them anything so is a waste.

I would also look into some dark green leafy veg asside from the spinach, kale, dandilion, pak choi, spring/fresh greens and dark green cabbage leaves are brill. They are one of the best veg for rats and particularly good for youngsters. They should make up the bulk of veg fed.

Peas are also a nice treat, as are tomatoes, mushrooms and peppers if your rats like them

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.