Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi :) I recently got my first rats - 4 females that are about 8 weeks old.

One of the babies is smaller and more timid than the others.

I've been following all the trust training advice, using treats, familiarisation etc but it seems as though I make progress with her and then the next day it reverts. For example yesterday, I sat with her and she was exploring and running to me/climbing on me, grooming me and eventually settled down and cuddled up with me, today she seems very jumpy and nervous and not wishing to interact much at all.

Also treats only work sometimes as she's not always interested in them.

Is this normal? Is there something else I can try? Am I pushing too much too quickly?

I just want her to be happy and for us to develop a strong bond x

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Could just be her personality. It seems there is always one out of the group that is more shy and less predictable in behavior. I've learned that they change A LOT, like from day to day. I have 5 boys the same age.

Reactions: Rex the Rat

·
Registered
808 Posts
Hi :) I recently got my first rats - 4 females that are about 8 weeks old.

One of the babies is smaller and more timid than the others.

I've been following all the trust training advice, using treats, familiarisation etc but it seems as though I make progress with her and then the next day it reverts. For example yesterday, I sat with her and she was exploring and running to me/climbing on me, grooming me and eventually settled down and cuddled up with me, today she seems very jumpy and nervous and not wishing to interact much at all.

Also treats only work sometimes as she's not always interested in them.

Is this normal? Is there something else I can try? Am I pushing too much too quickly?

I just want her to be happy and for us to develop a strong bond x
I think this is fairly normal .... at least in my experience. Rats will often advance and then revert, it's all part of learning to trust. All you can do, is simply be consistent. If you are always who she has come to know, the trust grows and the reverting tends to not last as long; goes longer between each revert and eventually, is barely noticeable.

So try not to take it personally. It's not you - it's them. Don't push and trust that she'll get there.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I assume it's when she's nervous as after a while she will sometimes settle and show interest in food, but then she can go back the other way almost as easily
It's normal for a nervous rat to ignore food since, when an animal is stressed, their brain goes into overdrive and tend to be more worried about the threat then the food. When this happens you can give her space to show her you mean no harm then come back later to reward her when she's in a more confident mood.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Also, I find that they are best when they come out as a pair. Helps calm them down and takes some of the stress away. They are very young, and safety in numbers is their motto ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts