Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! I recently introduced two young rats to my existing trio. I did things slowly over the course of a week and things were fine. They’ve been together now for two weeks.

Lately I’ve noticed one of the younger girls will chase and lightly bite the tail or fur of my older girls. Sometimes the adults ignore it and sometimes they squeak a little and kick the baby off. The bites are never enough to draw blood and there haven’t been any huge fights or any wounds at all. They frequently all cuddle and sleep together in the space pod. The babies are 8 weeks old and the adults are around 16 weeks old.

Is the baby rat being aggressive? Or is this normal behavior? These are my first rats so all advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That looks like normal behaviour. That bite seemed gentle and if it's not drawing blood it's not a problem. I have a 9 week old that pesters my year olds like this too but they all get along and snuggle as well.

Also, those two rats of yours are so cute!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks like normal behaviour. That bite seemed gentle and if it's not drawing blood it's not a problem. I have a 9 week old that pesters my year olds like this too but they all get along and snuggle as well.

Also, those two rats of yours are so cute!!
Thanks for your response! The bites are very gentle and never draw blood. I’ve just never seen a rat do this before since this is my first group. It does seem to annoy the older girls but they usually just kick her off and go on about their business.

·
Registered
527 Posts
They're just testing the boundaries of the other rats. Babies do that, haha. They will probably start jumping on/wrestling the older rats as they progress into the "teenage" stage which might look more rough, but as long as they aren't attacking or drawing blood, just let them be. Very cute babies :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts