Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I got baby rats that were about 3 weeks old they are now around about a month old. When i brought them home i noticed small scabs on both of guts ears and 1 on griffiths ear. and the fur on the back of their necks was a little thin.. i gave it a couple days to monitor and chalked it up to them playing a little rough. the scabs are healing up on the ears. taking a while because they like to scratch them off. i was using vetericyn plus (antimicrobial hydrogel) on the ears but it seemed to make them want to scratch and clean their ears more causing the scabs to reopen, so ive left them be for the past week or so. my main concern is the fur on the back of both of their necks? could this just be barbering? will it grow back? and should i be concerned? i separated them for a couple of days to give the ears time to heal, but they were missing each other like crazy so ive put them back together. They are playing and acting normal, no strange behaviors. should i be concerned about the seemingly rough play? they never seem to be in pain and they like to be around each other, so i would hate to have to separate them permanently. I have attached pictures from when they were younger until now.
Hand Jaw Dog breed Gesture Finger
Vertebrate Gesture Finger Comfort Snout
Gesture Finger Fawn Rodent Whiskers
Finger Gesture Fawn Rodent Rat
Eye Rat Rodent Whiskers Fawn
Ear Gesture Finger Fawn Snout
Rat Rodent Finger Fawn Snout
Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Ear Rodent Whiskers

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
Aw they are so cute.Have you tried treating them for mites?With them being so tiny though I would take them to the vets or do some research on Ivermectin spot on as you would have to be careful in dosage or not sure if it is safe on such tiny young rats.Alson the vets can look at some skin cells and tell if it is mites.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have just had a box of Beaphar rodent spot on arrive for Echo,who has mites,and it says on the box not suitable for animals under 8 weeks old

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have just had a box of Beaphar rodent spot on arrive for Echo,who has mites,and it says on the box not suitable for animals under 8 weeks old
I actually spoke with the breeder and she made me aware that baby harleys go through an intense molt and this is completely normal. Thank you for your response💞

1 - 4 of 4 Posts