Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm aware sneezing/chirping is not good in rats, my previous rat (Penelope) died from it. I have also heard sneezing is normal when first bringing home rats however, and that is what my breeder told me as well. My two baby girls that I just got are both sneezing and chirping; how normal is this and what is the longest time it normally takes to go away?

Edit: I've had them since Saturday (about 4 days now) they didn't seem to sneeze at all in the store and even when I first got them but then started sneezing a few hours after I got them. They were on paper bedding and now fleece and I have been feeding them a tiny bit of dark chocolate in the hopes that it'll calm their respiratory systems. I am really scared because my last rat died like this :( But these girls both seem to be bigger and healthier, and more active.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
That might still be a "new home" sneeze. It can last 7 days. If they are active, happy, eat/drink well...I wouldn't worry just yet. Anything else that could make them sneeze like cigarette smoke, air freshener...? All of those being bad for rats.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay and nope, no smoking or air fresheners here. The thing really scaring me is the chirping/grinding noise accompanying the sneezes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have seen that but that doesn't account for normal noises when they first get to a new home :/

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
squeaking and chirping is never normal whether the rat is new or not, in my opinion.

·
Registered
247 Posts
squeaking and chirping is never normal whether the rat is new or not, in my opinion.
I agree. One of our boys was sneezing a lot and started chirping a few days after we brought him home. We took him to the vet straight away and he was put on antibiotics.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Video of the chirps

[video]https://vid.me/UPpJ[/video] Can't tell if this is bruxing or chirping.. at first I was like okay, it's probably bruxing but they are doing it quite a bit.

Please someone help as soon as they can, the breeder has offered to take these back and take care of them if these cuties are deemed sick. Anyone? :)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
It sounds like a URI to me.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Mine didn't sound like that, it was more like a guinea pig clucking noise. I'm no expert on this but to me it sounds like bruxing?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts