Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so we accidently on purpose brought home two rex boys, one dumbo one top ear, who are likely around 3wks old. We've never had baby rexes, our rex girl is an adult. So I am not sure if their fur is normal, if they are some other coat, or if they are potentially sick. Their fur is very thin, and it seems as if it may be getting thinner. It's easier to notice on Beelzebub then Baniwi as Baniwi is light colored. We have them eating soy formula soaked food, and I'm gonna cook them some egg. The boys seemed a little thin, we got two standard girls and both them seem plumper but they may be a bit older we don't know. They eat fine, drink fine, and climb and play great. Skiddish still but they are so young. I'll try and post pictures but is it normal for rex babies to have a thin coat? Or any type of rat? (They have curly wiskers and their fur is curly/wavy/kinky, however you want to discribe it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Picture of Beelzebub, taken yesterday. They both look like they have less hair then yesterday, but it doesn't look irritated in person or anything... Kinda looks redish in the pic but it's not red under light, just pink. They would be heading towards the 4wk mark we belive, if that makes a diffrence. Not sure when double rex or patchwork become known.

·
Registered
573 Posts
It sort of looks like hair loss, form a poor diet. They probably didn't have the right type of food, before you got them. It could be from over barbering, but not likely. Give them about 5 more weeks and their hair should look better. Definitely not a Patchowrk.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why do you say that? And are there any markers to tell if its just poor diet? All four were taken from their mothers a little over a week ago, so they shouldn't have been seperated. But it is only the boys, the girls have no problems with their coat. Don't know what the rescuer fed them but it was only two days. Then we started them on soy formula and oxbow (RR as we dont have young rat or a way to go get it, hence the egg for protien) and if it is diet what sort of things are they missing to cause that? I would assume diet would take longer to show but I am no expert.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
At that age they ate getting there first moult. rex babies generally go mostly bald around 5 to 6 weeks. The fur comes back in fine. feed then pleanty of extra protien to help them make there new coat

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How much extra? Like a bit of egg every day? I have chicken i can cook too and i can pick up some shrimp if that would help? I know i saw some things about hairless and double rex going bald around a certain age, but I didn't see anything about rex. Very happy if this isjust normal.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thanks. If he and his brother are going to go bald around the time we have to split them from the furred girls, would we be able to introduce them to our furred boys (who are almost 12wks)? Or would they be in to much danger mixing a 5 to 6 week old pair with a 12 wk old trio? I don't want them to get cold being by themselves.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts