Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
baby clarice (7 weeks old) keeps mounting Leeloo (6 months), leeloo does it to ellie but not often but clarice won't leave Leeloo alone. She looks really pissed off, what do i do???????

also, the little ones keep scrapping a lot. any suggestions? i am going to let them loose for a few hours but fear fior leeloo as she is getting irritated....

·
Registered
11 Posts
My rat did this to my new baby rat to begin with - She'd bite her ears and jump on her but after letting them play togeher around my room they get along alot now and they're in the same cage now and get on great!

·
Registered
67 Posts
let them be for a while - rmember no blood no foul. If it gets really bad consider seperating for a night or two and then slowly reintroducing :)

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
babies are obnoxious and always try to "dominate" an older rat...hilarious to watch. Eventually the older rat will decide to teach baby some manners and will usually pin them down. "OK Kid, I have had enough thank you!"

If your girl is getting irritated you might want to put out special hidey places for the babies to run into (too small for her) just to get away. I intro'd 2 baby girl to 2 older girls and they were great together until the bratty babies pissed off the alpha and she would chase them. I had cut up hard cardboard tubes and blocked off part of the entrances so babies could squeeze inside. I had them everywhere in the cage (all levels). I kept them in there for a couple of weeks until all was settled. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you so much you guys! i am glad my crazy rats aren't all that rare! it just looks so silly that they dare to try and dominate leeloo as she is huge and she is definitely the alpha! my pet shop man has lent me a another cage (similar size to mine - like a Jenny) to seperate them for a bit because i am off on holiday soon and the person looking after them doesn't know loads about them...i thought i'm only away a few days so the break might do them good. the pet shop man is even bringing it over for me, what a sweetheart!

i will try the tips though when i get back!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts