Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a friend gave me a "Baby squirrel" which ended up being a roof rat. I love my baby but he's a pain. He refuses to eat anything solid. I've tried nuts, banana, carrot, broccoli. I'm going to try eggs next. Any ideas that could help? Also since I've never really raised a rat and no place by me will take one because it's "just a rat" is it okay to release them once they are old enough?

Registered
Merry, Pippin, and the Legion of Babies
Any idea how old he is? Do you have pictures to show? I've never had to hand raise one before, but typically they should be eating solid food around 2 weeks old, but also keep drinking milk until about 4 weeks.

Registered
If he doesn't mind being held maybe you could get him a buddy and keep him for a pet. Rats need other rats for company. The freedom of the wild is also a dream come true although treacherous since he has no mother, brother, or sisters to learn from

Registered
Try some oatmeal... add a little milk to it. Starting with soft, moist foods might get him interested in actually eating. Go slow, don't introduce a new food too soon. Also, call around for a vet that may have some other ideas. You could also look for a "rodent rescue".

He's a cutie by the way.

Registered
Merry, Pippin, and the Legion of Babies
Dang, a month and still not eating? That sounds really odd... maybe a special needs rat due to developmental issues? Have you had him looked at by a vet?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts