Rat Forum banner

bad skin

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Isamurat 
#1 ·
Jojo has lots of scabs and such on his skin and I think he's stress itching from the seizures and such and I was wondering if anyone knew of a way I could make that better? Like some oils I could put on his skin or something to soothe it. Anything would help right now ^^

#2 ·
Could the scabs be from mites or ringworm? Could you possibly post a picture of them to make them easily identifiable? :)

#3 ·
Get him to vet, asap, my late" Mouse" had mites, vet cured him with a cat bases mite drops.Then he got sick last June, skin, waxy, oily, on a Tuesday, Thursday see the vet, meds, shot of cortisine, home by 3,,,,my son saw him at the cage door around 5,, he was antsy to get out, which my son did, took him to the couch, let him run around, Mouse snuggled into my son's arm,,,getting chin rubs and head nuggies, then was gone. I was not home at the time,,,take some comfort that when Mouse passed he was curled with my son,,they both adored each other. Please get him to a vet,,,,,my vet has told me to use hydrogen peroxide, 5%, solution , to clean wounds,,,it helps to kill the bacteria, it may help...wishing you all the best

#6 ·
Stress itching does not leave scabs or any open wounds, it is just shown by loss of fur aka. barbering. There is no shot for mites, no rats are immune. Mites can exist on a singe rat more intensely than on others, one rat may show all symptoms and their cage mates can show none. Ivermectin and Revolution are great easy and fast treatments for mites. If left untreated the scabs will only get worse so I would recommend bringing them in ASAP or acquiring the proper dosing online!

#9 ·
Actually some vets do shots of ivermectin, which works if the rats don't get reinfested. All of your rats need to be treated at the same time. Sometimes it can also kill some rats, but older vets still do it and usually with some degree of success. I haven't heard it done lately, since most vets have switched to revolution drops.

And yes some rats don't seem to be bothered by mites. We had one new rat bring mites into our home and she never even scratched, our older one got scabs all over.

If the scratches are around the head and neck, treat with revolution, it's safer than ivermectin and treat all of your rodents. Mites are microscopic so don't expect to see them, but if they are on one rat, they are all over your others and your home... Revolution protects your rats for a month and they pretty much suck the mites up as they go and their blood kills them. It's way easier than ivermectin and heppa cleaning your house.

Best luck.

#10 ·
Actually some vets do shots of ivermectin, which works if the rats don't get reinfested. All of your rats need to be treated at the same time. Sometimes it can also kill some rats, but older vets still do it and usually with some degree of success. I haven't..."No way! You learn something new every day. I guess its just not an option at my vet!

#11 ·
Something to remember about parasites is that many of our animals will come in contact with them but not always become affected. Elderly and sickly animals are the likely to get infested with parasites.

I'd agree with the using revolution and it would be best if you treat everyone.

#12 ·
RatEmporiumToronto

I recently had someone tell me that her bunny was injected with ivermectin by the vet she works for...

And I buy my Revolution through his office... Some vets are kind of stuck in what they learned back in school. Which is fine if it still works. But there was a recent post here where someone's vet killed their rat doing it.

Some rare rats just can't take ivermectin. And there's one sure way to find out if your rats are among them.... or not.

#13 ·
How long ago was the shot?

There are quite a lot of things that can cause skin issues, can you get a photo of your guy?

They can get bacterial or fungal skin infections, things like adrenal or kidney disease, poor diet etc. I always treat mine with topical ivermetcin at the first sign of skin issues as its quick and easy and relatively safe if you know what your doing with dosing, but theres some that I would also immesiatly get checked out at the vets or treat with antibiotics etc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.