Rat Forum banner

Baking wooden toys in the oven

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  jempula 
#1 ·
Hello again!

I know this is very closely related to my other question but since it has been many days, I just wanted to make a separate post for this! So I'm planning on "baking" my wooden toys in the oven just to sanitize them before putting them in the cage (also YAY for us, we already have the Double Critter Nation for our future rats!!). I will mostly do this because I have a natural cork wood log so I just want to be safe and just thought to put my other wooden toys/hides/bridges in as well just in case!

So the question is, what temperature would be good and safe (don't want to burn down my kitchen or the toys) and for how long should I bake them?
We have a very normal oven (this is kinda hard though because I'm not sure if other countries' normal is different from ours), so no gas or whatever, just a normal heating oven.. I don't know 😅

I saw a video where wooden toys were baked for 30min in around 93 °C (or around 200 °F) but that seems a bit high for me so I looked into it more and then saw a suggestion of around 65 °C (or around 150 °F) for 2 hours.

#4 ·
I bake branches for my snakes all the time at 200° F for 30-45 minutes after giving them a good scrubbing and have never had an issue with burning. It might be because they're wet when I put them in. I have an electric baking oven(which can second as a house heater XD), which is what I think you're talking about. You can look on info for cleaning and sanitizing wood naturally on reptile forums and such.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.