Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disaster!

I swear, raising triplets in Siberia would be less heart wrenching than two small rats! Poor Dax is having a hard enough time getting over the last bits of healing from her spay, from having the vet trim her teeth needlessly and waaay too short, & taking antibiotics that might upset her tummy. Then, we have to put Kira to sleep, which seems to confuse her. She can smell Kira in the play area but can't find her. I didn't think about that.

Now, tonight, the funny looking scab over her incision (that is mostly dried bits of the formerly prescribed antibiotic cream which apparently also includes a steroid) starts to come off. She finally succeeds in getting it off, and the spot under the scab looks a little sore. Like that wet looking new pink skin when any scab comes off too early.

Now for the drama. After losing Kira to an infection from a poorly treated wound we're feeling lots of guilt and anxiety induced over protectiveness. So we decide to clean and dress the wound. I use clean water, and a dab of first aid ointment. Then my husband and I debate the merits of bandaid versus gauze. We end up with band aid, figuring it will wear off later. But she moves at the last minute and the band aid is too low and covers her "knees". She can get her foot caught in it and is pulling....

So we trim it off. all goes well until she squeaks. My husband gasps and says "Oh god I cut her!" It is a tiny little nip. No blood.; just pink. But we feel awful. She seems fine. Annoyed at the "rathandling" and the left over bits of bandaid stuck to her fur.

*sigh* Sure is hard to be the "momma", especially when the little one doesn't speak English.
:?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Awww, poor little Dax, that sounds rough. I know my man rat Igor has had a really rough life so far (cage mates passing away, anger issues, living alone) and I tend to spoil the heck out of him because of it. He gets all sorts of extra love and attention.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts