Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So on the 23rd we picked up Baniwi and Beelzebub, snake food rescues. Likely just 3wks they were curious but terrified little boogers. After a couple weeks we decided to try intros with the resident boys, GusGus, Grey and Oolong. The big boys took to the babies, cleaning them, fawning over them, and totally ignoring them. A clean cage later and they were all at home. But these tiny scardy rats still would flee at the sight of us, and were wary of treats at best. But I noticed something. Whenever I opened the door and was rushed by three fat brats, a tiny head or two peeked out to observe. Soon Baniwi, then Beelzebub, were coming to join the big boys in taking treats, or trying to play hand wrestle. But still skiddish. Then, overnight, something clicked. Instead of being cautious, they not only jumped to come to the door, or run at my hand, they climb over or under the big boys and take off up my shirt. No fear, no hesitation. (Well, of me at any rate) It's amazing, and hilarious, and terrifying all at once. (Trying to keep an eye on three was hard enough, now all five?!) I definitly plan to stick with boys from now on I think. I love the girls but with the boys all five have this connection, I only get the same response from two of the girls really. Maybe three on a good day. I've seen how rats can become less fearful when they learn from another, but those were adult rats learning from other adults. This has been on a whole other level. It was like magic! I can see them now, all asleep on their favorite shelf, one giant pile of rat butt. Thats how they all sleep almost 100% of the time. Bonus pic: You can see all five tails, two tiny (just the tip of one really) and three fat butts!

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts