Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my rats yesterday :D. They are two almost 3 months old males: one solid blue/grey (Earl) and one blue hooded (Octavian) , pictures to come hopefully. They spent their night in the smaller of the cage I have for them. I really want to move them into the larger cage, however, since the smaller one is just barely big enough. The larger cage has bar spacing of about and inch, maybe just under. I put them in to see if they could escape and at first all they did was run around like maniacs. Eventually they got curious and started poking their noses through. I tried enticing them with treats and they were able to get pretty much their head through.. but the would get stuck and have to pull it back out. Im still watching them to see if they will sneak out (well one, earl is sitting on my shoulder chattering his teeth :p) but what do you guys think? I'd rather be safe than sorry, but they are obviously a lot happier in the bigger cage.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Do you have any pictures? Maybe you could put some mesh around the cage like some people do on this forum, until they're big enough.

Perhaps you could just put them in when you have a little time, and just watch them to see if they get out.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
if their heads fit through the bars, then the rest of the body can too. my little boys are about 14/15 weeks old, and they are only just now big enough to go in a cage with 1" bar spacing.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I'd say better to be safe than sorry. Get some hardwire cloth/mesh and you can use zipties to attach it to the cage. It can be a temporary/perminant fixture, as needed. You can keep it on until you are sure that they won't fit - then you can take it off again :)

I would be especially careful if they can fit their head through - tonight Lily decided to explore the cat basket I use as a carrier for them. She stuck her head through the gaps in front (approx 1" squares) and almost couldn't get it back out again. It took her, and then me, a good 5 or so minutes to coax her head back out again. The last thing you need is growing furkids to get their head stuck o_O

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
crapola said:
if their heads fit through the bars, then the rest of the body can too. my little boys are about 14/15 weeks old, and they are only just now big enough to go in a cage with 1" bar spacing.
i don't necessarily believe that if they can get their heads through that they can get their bodies through, but like ration says, they can certainly get their heads stuck. picasso is 10 months old and can still get her head through, just barely, in the corner of her new 15/16" bar spacing cage, but she just can't seem to get her body through. and believe me, if any of my rats wants to get out, picasso is the one to try the hardest. so i'm not entirely convinced that that is true for rats. maybe hamsters, but they are waaay squishier than rats, lol.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I dunno Ono I've seen one of my males fit though a pretty small space but he's pretty squishy lol. Can't they dislocate things to fit through small spaces? Ok I just grossed myself out. I'm really not sure if I want to know the answer. My rats are already possessed without me thinking about them dislocating their bones to make themselves flat.......8O

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I've seen them fit through some pretty small spaces, but I don't think they have the abilities that we give them credit for. Numberous times I've seen my girls (and boys) be able to fit their head through something and be unable to get the rest of them through.

Perhaps it's more of an informed decision on their part - if there's room for their head and shoulders, they'll fit. Otherwise, they won't even try (or so I've found)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
rule of thumb with rats... if they can fit their head through, the rest of the body will follow.

If they get stuck mid-way (tummy) then it is time to cut back on the yogies

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
A1APassion said:
If they get stuck mid-way (tummy) then it is time to cut back on the yogies
Some of my boys can't even make it to 'mid way' - I think I might need to cut back on more than just the yogies :lol:

Although, Lily can get her whole head out of the cat box and then can't go back or forward! She tried to climb IN it last night - and got stuck. The cat box is finding a new, lily free, home me thinks

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
my skinny naked rat can't get past her shoulders, so no i don't think that they can get thru bars just because their heads can. i *know* this is true for hamsters, so yeah... just saying. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts