Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Does anyone know how small the spacing in bars must be for housing female rats? I have a beautiful ferret cage that I would like to move my girls into, but I think they might be able to squeeze through the bars, but I'm not sure. The bars are almost one inch spaced.

My girls are only about 3 months old, so I'm not sure if they have finished growing, but I am worried that I won't be able to use my nice cage and they will be stuck in their temporary one, or I'll have to buy a different one. Thank you for your help! :D

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Best way to see is to put them in there and see how it goes if they can fit through the bars you can always modify it and add hardware cloth to the outside of the cage. they are not even close to done growing yet if they are only three months old so you may get away with the hard ware cloth being temporary. Basic rule of thumb is if they can fit their heads through the rest can squeeze through too

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for responding! Hardware cloth huh? Never heard of it. What is it?

Also, you're right they're only 3 months - do you know when female rats usually stop growing? Thanks again!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts