Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a temporary cage (about the size of the pet store cages for rabbits and guinea pigs) but I measured the spacing because I thought it might look a bit too much for rats and it measured 1in. :confused: Is 1" spacing okay or is it too much? I just bought the cage too, However I bought it with the intention of using it temporarily for rats so I can get them and then while I'm saving up some money (hopefully only a couple weeks at most) and then I can use it for my rabbit because his current cage is the same sized but it doesn't have a bottom.

So is 1" okay or too much?

·
Registered
213 Posts
It depends on how big your rats are. Younger rats can often squeeze through 1 inch bar spacing, and sometimes smaller females can too. For them its safer to have 1/2 in. bar spacing. What age and gender rats are you planning to get?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It depends on how big your rats are. Younger rats can often squeeze through 1 inch bar spacing, and sometimes smaller females can too. For them its safer to have 1/2 in. bar spacing. What age and gender rats are you planning to get?
I'm not sure how old they'll be but unfortunately I'll probably get them from a pet store because I don't know of any breeders near me and there aren't shelters in my area that currently have them. The pet stores in my area usually get small pets around 6 months so they'll probably be around there although there's always the chance of older/younger as well. I want a pair of males, so the females having a tendency to be smaller isn't a concern..

·
Registered
870 Posts
One possibility is to cover the cage with hardware cloth. Another is to find a cheap cage on Craigslist or http://www.ebayclassifieds.com/ that would be suitable for the short term. It is possible that the rats will work in that cage if they are big enough, but it may be better for you to wait til you are able to get a proper cage for them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would they be okay in a c&c type cage because I could also make one of those.. I really want to just get them, but I want them to be safe too

1 - 6 of 6 Posts